Got 8800 GTX

rainwood

Wonder why they just couldn't have it auto-detect and install the orrect ones instead of telling me they aren't available....

That would have been the sensible thing to do and and would have made installation a lot easier. Why would they want to do that? lol

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got to save some cash before splashing on a DX10 card - think I'm liking the nvidia camp so far, would be nice to see what ATI pull out of the hat before spending though.

Think waiting to see whats gonna be awesome on Vista would be sensible also...these things always take time but its what gets me excited!

Matt

*dang just realised the forum colours have changed - need to alter my signature...man I havent been online for a long time!

i've got to save some cash before splashing on a DX10 card - think I'm liking the nvidia camp so far, would be nice to see what ATI pull out of the hat before spending though.

Think waiting to see whats gonna be awesome on Vista would be sensible also...these things always take time but its what gets me excited!

Matt

If you only want to buy once waiting is probably the wise thing to do. I bought this card fully expecting to replace it come February or March.

Well I've been playing in Oblivion for a while now, everything maxed out in game (HDR, haven't done Bloom+AA yet) at 1920x1200 resolution. Looks really good. Choppy in heavily forested areas, but thats to be expected.

Also I've been overclocking it (using ntune)...don't try using the 'find optimal' setting as it appears to lock up the computer. I've reached 650 core, 950 (1900) mem so far, with absolutely no difficulty.

For reference the GTX is 575/1800, stock on the GTS is 500/800.

Temps have reached only 60C in Oblvion, so I'm gonna push and see if I can't hit 700/2000 or more.

Excellent card, and if you've got a big monitor and like to game, it makes a lot of sense to get one. Plus I got Dark Messiah with it, which is cool since I kinda wanted to play it anyways.

As for Sli...not sure if that is absolutely necessary. And would certainly be a waste on anything smaller than a 24" widescreen.

By the way, sorry to sort of take over your thread man. Figured it'd be best to keep all of this consolidated as possible. I'll move to my own though if you want. :)

I would think it will only get better once some official 64 bit drivers are released. I kinda get the feeling this version was a hurry up release so the card would work. I'm still amazed how smooth everything is considering all the work being done to display the images at these resolutions.

I would think it will only get better once some official 64 bit drivers are released. I kinda get the feeling this version was a hurry up release so the card would work. I'm still amazed how smooth everything is considering all the work being done to display the images at these resolutions.

No kidding, after some good drivers come out (especially for x64) I really can't see needing anything else.

Besides aftermarket cooling...

And some voltage mods...:D

Nice clocks Techo! Let us know if you hit the 700/2000! This would be extreme! :drool:

Doesn't look like it'll be stable. Runs fine for a little bit then locks up. 650/1900 seems fine though, for the time being.

I'll leave it at that until new drivers come out, or until I get a board thats mine and I'm serious about playing with it.

And unfortunately you're probably right Travis.