Sign in to follow this  
saruman

(Resolved) SLI causing monitor to switch off

Hiya

I have run into a problem, I have reformatted my hard drive, installed chipset drivers, install 93.71 drivers, however the nvidia control panel is not recognising that i have two card installed they are both 7800gt's

I have previously had these card working together in sli fine before i formatted. After doing clean install and loading the exact same BIOS setting that i used before with sli enabled, when windows boots it gets to a point where the monitor switches off before the desktop is displayed, it's like it has gone into standby mode and i cant wake it up.

The green lights turn amber and i cant wake it up. Not sure if the pc is hanging or if the monitor is switching off.

Anyone got any ideas on what i should do?

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6415/4ci2.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/278/5fw3.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2927/6mp7.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4955/7yk1.jpg

i have changed cards around and put them in the other slot and then enabled the SLI Broadcast Apeture to Auto and then set the pci xpress config to "8-4-NC-8"

when i do this, the same thing occurs, windows begins to boot, i get the window xp icon and the bar that moves across at the bottom, then the monitor switches off, the green light goes from green to amber.

can't switch back on either

still have no idea on this one

can boot into safe mode with bios settings as need to enable sli however that is no good to me.

as i remember when you open up the nvidia control panel and click on monitor temps you can switch between both graphics cards however i can only monitor the temp on one card

oh and i need to update my sig too those bios screen shots are for the config as in sig

Tried using another output? Tried switching the cards around in slots? Tried running a single card to eliminate chances of a dead card? Tried different BIOSes?

Try all four outputs on your cards,

same crap happened to me the other day when I did processor swapping, when I went back to my current OS/processor, it was on the wrong monitor output. It's as simple as plugging it in to the right one, then switching it to the one you want it on.

Try all four outputs on your cards,

same crap happened to me the other day when I did processor swapping, when I went back to my current OS/processor, it was on the wrong monitor output. It's as simple as plugging it in to the right one, then switching it to the one you want it on.

ya have tried swapping connections to the other 4 ports and still nothing, it's really . me off, how can it go from working to not working with exactly the same bios settings as before.

Have you tried 84.21 drivers? I find that whenever I'm having visual/driver issues, those are the best ones to switch back to before I reinstall the latest.

are those sli capable drivers? no i havent tried them yet

Um... yeah.

I used them for many moons with both my 7900s and 7800s in SLI, they're actually (in my opinion) far more stable than most of the later releases of drivers (93.71s I'm still not too sure on). I know for a fact the 91.47s are a piece of s**t, pardon my edited french ;) LOL

Okay, when you did the install (of Windows) did you do it with one card installed only, then install the second one after finishing drivers install etc?

no both cards were installed when i did the format and then clean install. why do you think it will make a difference if i install with one card and then install the other card after windows is up and running?

problem solved

i uninstalled nvidia drivers in safe mode and reinstalled latest nvidia drivers in safe mode and rebooted.

now i can enable sli.... all good

It makes all the difference in the world ;) I know because I had to do the same thing you just did when I tried a fresh install with SLI already enabled. Congrats ;) You should run the FEAR benchie I have goin' here on the forums and see how you fair :D