Upgrade from BFG6800GTOC to 7800GSOC ?

The_Jager

Would I see much from this upgrade? The 7800 is now priced down to below $250. The reveiws I read about the 7800GS dont get me to excited but AGP users dont have a lot to choose from. The 7800GS seems to get much better frame rate on games using HDR. What do others think?

I wouldn't bother with getting the 7800 GS.

I've installed 2 of those cards in friends machines- they were also stubborn or too cheap to upgrade. and yes, they both balked at the cost- near $300. But here's the thing- they also upgraded to 2gb of ram, and let me tell you something. They got game! they're both playing BF2 and 2142- and they look very nice on those machines. One is an amd 3000+ i think- 1.8Ghz. The other is a P4 2.4. Sure it's not the same as a full upgrade to pcie- but you'd be surprised at the result.

If it's all you can do now- I say go for it. you're not going to get BF2 with everything maxxed- but would be able to play at decent framerates on medium settings. they're a good card, and best agp has to offer right now IMO.

Up to you to decide if it's worth it or not-

True, it is up to him whether it's worth it or not, but considering he currently has a 6800 GT, which is still a great card, I just don't think the cost is worth it.

that's still a decent card- but there's no comparison between the two. still- it's up to him.