ATI after-market cooling ideas

Kingfisher

Which coolers do you folks suggest?

I was looking at the Zalman VF700-Cu for a new x1950XT card.

I really am looking for the best air cooling solution to clock this card without it sounding like a hair-dryer.

I have the 1900 XT and just bought the Zalman VF900. Alot quieter than the stock cooler. dropped my idle temp from 46C to 36C. I was amazed. Under load temp playing HL2 was around 55C. It used to get up to about 75C. And I couldn't stand the noise, I know sounded like a hair dryer. I definately recommend this cooler. Do it. You won't regret it.

I vote for Zalman too, but getting the hot air out of the case is important too. My load temps on the X800 with stock cooling were 70 C, the Vf700 lowered this to 50 C. Idle temps where very similar 32 C - 35 C for both stock and Zalman.

Downside of Zalman's in my expirence is with the flower desgin as it gathers dust very quickly. I have my Rig in the basement with a suspended ceiling and cant get away from the dust. Cleaning it every week or two.

Which coolers do you folks suggest?

I was looking at the Zalman VF700-Cu for a new x1950XT card.

I really am looking for the best air cooling solution to clock this card without it sounding like a hair-dryer.

Has your card not got good cooling already? heat pipe on that one is it not?

My card never goes above 65c and the fan is only @27%, but the 1800XT was very noisy, but with the Artic Cooling Accelero X2 Cooler on it, it was silent even @ 100%!

Has your card not got good cooling already? heat pipe on that one is it not?

My card never goes above 65c and the fan is only @27%, but the 1800XT was very noisy, but with the Artic Cooling Accelero X2 Cooler on it, it was silent even @ 100%!

If you check out the link Kingfisher provided in his original post, you will see that his card is NOT the one with the heatpipe cooler; it is a dual-slot solution.

Downside of Zalman's in my expirence is with the flower desgin as it gathers dust very quickly.

Very true. Another problem: I live in a coastal city so corrosion is a real threat. I've lost a vf700-AlCU and a 7700-AlCu. The vf700 had about 5 or 6 fins damaged, sold it really cheap. The 7700 had more than a dozen corroded fins, all of them were on the aluminum side. Same with the vf700. Performance started to drop so I bought a 7700Cu.

The corrosion process took about a year, considering I live about two blocks from the beach. Now I keep a little silica gel bag inside my case and I have plans to buy a spray that's supposed to protect the material from corrosion. It's used on boats, cars and such...

Why I stick to zalman? It's the best performance for the price.

Have a nice weekend everybody... :)