How much do temps really matter?

Isnt there a point (when you would use super cooling) where a very cold temp will prevent a higher clock?

I know there's a condition that prevents a computer from booting if the CPU is too cold (in which case you would boot first and then turn on the cooler) but I don't know about clock limitations.

wow , i never knew 10 more c kill that much life of my cpu

i am idling at 2.55 n at 24c* (at least what mbm5 tells me)

I need some opinion since i am on air cooling and will not switch

to water .... if i OC higher ... like 2.6-2.7 ... how long will my cpu last?

I would like for it to live at least 3 years

dang thats so crazy i didnt know having that high of temperatures can actually decrease the life of your CPU. I am having a heat issue of my own actually, i dk if you have read my post under AMD Overclocking, but, I am using dynex compound with an xp-90 and it isnt cooling worth a crap. 1.55 volts and i am idling at 38 and when i primed sometimes i would get up to 63c. I have probably been at 63c for a total of an hour and a half. So does that mean i drastically decreased the life of my cpu? lol. I have AS5 ceramic on the way.

You may have lessend the life of your cpu but... What is the life expectancy of a cpu? Compare that with how long you plan to use your cpu... :rolleyes: You could probably take the life expectancy and divide it by 10 and still not use your chip for that long... :shake:

Isnt there a point (when you would use super cooling) where a very cold temp will prevent a higher clock?

That is a problem with at least some of the A64 chips.

This link http://www.overclock.net/faqs/101138-info-...-san-diego.html calls it a "cold bug" which apparently prevents the cpu from booting at sub-zero temps.

I don't know for sure, but I think it only kicks in at sub-zero so unless you're using dry ice or some form of refridgeration cooling you wouldn't see it.

When i put the W/C on my rig I was able to pick up 50mhz on my 24/7 settings and also reduce voltage by a small amount. Also my max OC went up a bunch.

Where with the XP90 using more than 1.60-1.65 vid didn't help. Now she'll go past 1.7vid.(Not recomended though)

SAE said to him 10c=20-30mhz. but he was talking about phase cooling and a "Mobile" processor But I think the same principle applies cooler is almost allways better. Unless you have a processor like mine that cold-buggs at pretty warn temps.

Bringing the load temps down really helps stability. Increases processor life reduces EM,ect,ect. Also cold bug doesn't have to be @ sub zero temps. My stepping is reputed to bug as warm as 50f(10C). Though others of the same stepping and date.bug @32F (0c) Cold bugg is where overclocking becomes even more dependant on luck and strange deities.(Not to mention the processor)

If you don't believe that cooler temps don't lead DIRECTLY lead to higher clocks, talk to the phase change people. Just TRY to duplicate their numbers at teh same voltage. Unless you got a golden chip compared to theirs... not a chance.

I've personally kept the same overclock but dropped off from 1.62 to 1.59vcore by a 3C loaded temp drop.

I love winter. when i can kick everyone in the house out but me. and turn off the heat, open the windows rap up in good worm close. And bench my brains out You ll be surprised on how high you can get with sub 0 temps. last winter when i was running my 250gb and my 2600 with stock cooler and had been running 8x338 and it was only then when it was -15c out side and i was clocking mad man did i hit 345 i ran to the PC store the next day and got my BT :D pull the lid and its been running 345 every since never misses a beat. But I don't know why my CPUs do so well other then the fact none of them has ever seen stock vcore NOT once. my 2600 90mm 754 Venice likes 1.8 why should my 939 3500 like anything else :D you look in the OCDB at all the venices running 2.7 2.75 at 1.58 or 1.65 vcore wate theres one claming 2.93 hmm vcore 1.82 haha guess what now theres another one at 2950 :D and its now at 2990 and you know its stable 30 more days.and GGG here i come signed the madman :D its just like saying corsair dont work in DFI boards to say OH my god anything over 1.65 is crazy. why because everyone has said it.I dont know one person on this fourm thats had the same cpu running 24/7 for 1 year. So were you guys get any proof that anything above 1.65 will kill your cpu? Because its what you heard here. Been running my 250 for 16 months now and shes still running 24/7 at 1.8 never sees 38c at full load
man you got some crazy over clocks there what you using for cooling? your Sig don't show up