Sign in to follow this  
ice91785

Bottom PCI-e slot question

Hey guys, quick question as I have been told two different things.

Does the bottom PCI-e slot run at x8 or x16 (with the first being unoccupied). Like I said I have heard both ways and cannot find a lot of detail on it.

Currently I have my x1800xt in the second slot as it was heating up my chipset pretty well....thanks in advance :)

Max for the bottom slot is 8x. But your card will run fine like that with virtually no loss in performance.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

By the way, I did have a sig about 2 seconds after I posted my first post there :-s Sorry I wasn't more on the ball :P

Jumpers are moved yes.....

As far as the mod, I just am not really patient enough at the moment...it crossed my mind here and there :) Although the slots would then be both x16 and x8 (respectively) with one card....

Is not your bottom slot running 2x cause you haven't done the mod yet......even though you moved the jumpers......Even though it wont matter as you wont see the difference from 2x to 8x.

You should pull the chipset Fan and reseat it after cleaning it and recoating with AS5, this will pull your temps down, or even better get the Evercool VC-RE which will do a better job...

Logan