Sign in to follow this  
Mildman

Difference Infinity NF-M2 & NF-UltraII-M2

Hey guys been a while....my NF4 Ultra-D still kicking along nice - need a cheap upgrade from my son.

Am trying to understand the difference between the Ultra and 'non-Ultra'. Infinity mobos.

I'm having a little difficulty finding this info in my surfing - has anyone found out what the difference is?

That only thing I haven't done to determine this difference is go through the 2 specs line by line.....

Surely someone else must have considered this question when buying the Ultra mobo over the non Ultra mobo?

nF-M2

- SATA 1.5GBps (probably possible to mod to enable SATA2 3Gbps though)

- only 1 PCI-e 16x slot

- slightly different motherboard layout

- different chipset cooler (either better than the small square of those UltraII-M2 or just the same... I don't know)

- lack of on-board power/reset button.

UltraII-M2

- support SATA2 3Gbps

- have 2 PCI-e 16x slots (modable to SLi)

- layout is similar to nFII-M2 or SLiII-M2

- square chipset cooler which is noisy and lousy

Performance wise...I'm not to sure. I believe the overclocking options are similar, but the question would be the maximum Vdimm supported. I was thinking of getting this board for my new setup because it's cheaper than UltraII-M2, if it provides Vdimm at least 2.5V.

Hmmm with the 2 16x PCI slots and the onboard power button I might just be sold on the extra $20(AUS) it will cost me. I like setting up the mobo first time with just the onboard power switch before I got to the trouble of mounting it in the case.

Either way sounds like I'll be up for a new chipset cooler.

Thanks for the advice.

Updates:

I have now acquired an nF-M2 mobo. My comments:

- The PCI-e 16x slot is positioned on the fourth PCI bracket slot (from the top)so the graphic card is now sits low inside the casing. My 7300GT idle temp is at 46'C compare to 44'C on an UltraII-M2 with the card installed on the top slot. This is probably due to less area beneath the card.

- The chipset is surprisingly running cool if you compare it with UltraII-M2. Probably because this is due to better chipset cooler (oval-shaped). However, the chipset cooler is still considered loud at full speed, but the noise is not 'whiny' compare to the old square cooler. Instead of around 60'C... the chipset now runs at slightly less than 50'C .... around 47'C to 48'C I should say.

- BIOS option is 100% similar to UltraII-M2's.

It overclocks just like UltraII-M2

Currently doing 2760MHz (276x10) @ 1.4V stable in SuperPi 32M and gaming (TitanQuest, CS:Source....).

Somehow I cannot use DDR2-800 divider, it will automatically drop to DDR2-667, but still with my overclocked setting.

Or to make it simple... I can do 2.7ghz with DDR2-667 divider, but when I set to DDR2-800, it still runs on 2.7ghz/DDR2-667. Same happens at default speed.