Sign in to follow this  
Bloody

Ram problem pls help

Hey,

I have a problem with booting up having my rams in the dual channel brackets. The only working configuration is when i put them in sockets 1 and 2, what results in DDR328 single channel. I have tried other bioses, tried putting my rams in other sockets and it doesn't boot up. Three diagnostic LED's stay on and nothing happens.

What can possibly be wrong and what can I do about it?

My rig is in my sig.

Welcome!

Sorry, but I don't know the RAM manufacturer in question. Nevertheless let's see what you can do.

- Standard slots with best success rate for dual channel are the orange ones.

- Start with just one module in the furthest orange slot from the CPU.

- Run Memtest, enabled in BIOS, until you're sure they run at stable settings.

- Test the other module in the same fashion.

- Now try to put both in; orange slots.

- If it doesn't work, try to disable CPC in bios.

Overall use the overclocking guide at this forum, because it's very informative even if you're not planning to overclock at the moment. You get good knowledge of RAM settings and a ruff picture of which settings usually work.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

I'm afraid i dont know your sticks either, but you can still use the standard procedure for setting up your sticks.

MemTest each stick individually in the orange slot furthest from the CPU. Run tests 5&8 for 10+ passes each, then all tests overnight. If both sticks pass this then try both sticks in the orange slots. If this fails, repeat the whole procedure with the yellow slots.

Post your settings from the Genie BIOS and we'll see if we can't get you up and running...

Also something else to consider, your PSU only just meets the bare minimum in terms of 12V rail, and is below spec in terms of total wattage... Do you have access to another one from the recommended list that you can try?

Hello,

Related to TEAMGROUP.

Clear your CMOS and try the orange slots. (if you haven't done so already)

Hi, thanks for the info. I think my psu is ok, casue my rams used to work stable in dual channel. Something happpend and for a few months they refused to work in any configuration different than slots 1 and 2. I didn't care about it much just until now, cause gotic3 won't run the way I'd like it to ;)

I'll memtest single sticks, clear cmos (did that already but well it won't hurt doin it again) and I'll try disabeling CPC.

Hey, I got my PC back running and I did some tests with my rams:

- I tested both sticks I slot 1 (one stick at a time) with memtest I it spit errors like crazy.

- Did the same with CPC off, and then I also tried increasing and reducing the ram voltage by 0,1V. Still no progress.

- I've taken my little bro's rams (old 2x256 twinmos on tccd chips) and tested them the same way. Both passed memtest without and errors. Still I failed to launch them i dual channel. It seems that slots 3 and 4 just don't work. (I tried putting a single stick in both)

All my genie bios setting are set to default - most are on auto.

And now I have no idea what can be wrong. Is i t both the mobo and rams? I'll appreciate any help.

Guest caffeinejunkie

Id say psu. Whether the psu is directly causing the current issues or over time the lack of good clean power has damaged your board. Your psu doesnt meet the bare minimum of 480w and it's 12v rail with only 15a is horrid. Id say the first thing you should do is get a new psu because whether or not it's the issue now it will be one down the road and will be 100% necessary if you ever plan on upgrading. If the issues still persist then RMA the board to DFI.