Sign in to follow this  
ring.of.steel

new build ok?

hi,

this is my specification for my new build, do you see any problems with it that i should know as i am new to the nf4 chipset.

Athlon 64 3700+ (san deigo)

Dfi NF4 Ultra-D

Powercolor x300 128mb

2x256mb geil value pc3200 dual channel

old ide hard disk (for now)

samsung SATA dvd rw (cant rermber model number)

Seasonic s12 430w

windows xp pro

thanks

If you're going to run the system at default, you'll be fine. Those value rams from Geil are okay just don't push them. Some users have issues with Seasonic PSU's but not sure if that implies to the 430w version. Remember to use a multimeter to check your rails and don't overclock because that PSU is not up for the task. Specially for the 3700+ you got there that can hit around 2.9GHz or maybe even higher. Also the Samsung SATA might work or might not, best thing is for you to try it for youself. Heard many horror stories about SATA Optical drives. Why do you think they don't make that interface for burners? Good Luck!

Yeah, PSU is suspect. There is a reason that the low wattage versions of these are so cheap, and although it might power your board ok in the interim, i'd suggest spending anothing £30 and getting maybe the corair HX520 (Maybe you can find it cheaper - but it is available in the UK here)

Hello,

What do you want this pc for?

Are you upgrading from current spec in Sig to this one?

Windows XP = slow with 512MB

You should use at least 1024MB.

The DFI board = Overclocking/Gamers choice.

I am puzzled to why you want to put these bits in the DFI board.

reason i am using these parts is because i am upgrading from the rdx200 cf-dr that i dont have time to play around with. i am also a student and have no money so i dont really want to fork out on a psu unless i have to. the psu is running fine in my current setup. the pc is for internet and multimedia only.

thanks again.

I would seriously stay with what you have.

Going up to that board with your current hardware is not a good idea.

Besides, you would not see any performance gain.

hi,

the main reason why i am looking at this board is because a freind of mine is selling two 7950gx2's for 300 pounds and this board is moddable to sli? also i have 1gb of ocz pc4000 on the way.

i am also a student and have no money so i dont really want to fork out on a psu unless i have to. the psu is running fine in my current setup. the pc is for internet and multimedia only.

I would seriously stay with what you have.

Going up to that board with your current hardware is not a good idea.

Besides, you would not see any performance gain.

hi,

the main reason why i am looking at this board is because a freind of mine is selling two 7950gx2's for 300 pounds and this board is moddable to sli? also i have 1gb of ocz pc4000 on the way.

Now that you have money to work with, get a new PSU before getting RAM and high end video cards.

Now that you have money to work with, get a new PSU before getting RAM and high end video cards.

Exactly, i dont think you have any hope of running those cards in SLI with a mere 430W PSU.

You can click the recommended power supply link under my sig. It is a good idea to never go below minimum requirements for DFI boards.

Your PSU may or may not work. The guide is there for a reason, you don't have to agree with it but those PSUs are proven and stable.

Building a PC with the Ultra-D should start with a proven PSU so you can enjoy the high end graphics and other goodness you are looking to add without any issues.

Sign in to follow this