Guitar Hero II !!!!! (plus a warning)

Angry_Games

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i did but that was way back when the game first came out and the original wireless ones didn't work with #2 at all, so I took them back

I'm simply waiting for Xbox360 version (though no wireless guitars for a while grrrr)

I got some more vids of me and D-Wayne doing co-op and I might make some more today of me and my buddy John doing co-op...such mindless fun!

Whew finally got it, and it's just so addictive. I'd had it a few weeks as a loaner but now that I own it I'm just insatiable! :confused:

So anyway, I've got only one song left to 5-Star on medium, but Hard just seems like a HUGE jump in skill.

Anyone have any tips on playing at "Hard" level? I'm able to bridge tee first 4 frets on medium, but as soon as I go to "Hard" I'm having trouble incorporating the 5th fret.

I sorta wish there was a level between medium and hard, the extra fret AND extra speed just kill me.

My only tip is to remember that the yellow button has a raised line on it.

My wireless guitar is great, i love it. Buttons are easier to press, the strum bar is much quieter than the original guitar (which is nice because it won't drown out the music now), and I can 360 jump kick while I jam. lol

And now I have two guitars so my girl can play coop with me. The only thing that scares me is that she gets 85% + on hard, no matter if she plays bass, rhythm, or lead.

She is a DDR master though, so maybe there's some correlation there.

Tuesday!

looks like Circuit City has a deal if you buy the game and guitar for $89, you get 1600 Microsoft points included, which should hopefully download about 1/3 of the songs (I have no clue how many there are)

Can't wait for tomorrow. I got to sell something!

also posted in my home forum DIY-Street

Ok, so as I was about to go to bed, I decided to quickly (hahahahaha) try and see if I could do this little trick I wanted to do.

Here's the starting gate:

1. recorded the song "Strutter" by Kiss in Guitar Hero 2 for Xbox360 in Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert modes

2. drag all 4 video and all 4 audio tracks to the timeline in Sony Vegas 6.0d

3. fool around (AND CURSE A LOT!!!) with the tracks to get them all synchronized by audio (and thereby video). This part was a REAL @#%@#$#@ if you know what I mean haha.

4. Once all 4 tracks were synchronized, I used the audio track from Medium level since I achieved a 100% on it (as well as the Easy audio track, but the Medium was a bit more robust in sound quality for some reason).

I shut off the other 3 audio tracks, but left them on the timeline just in case I need them, but shoved them out of the way.

5. drag all 4 video tracks in descending order: Easy - Medium - Hard - Expert

6. start splicing them up at 5 second intervals to begin with (I'll go back tomorrow and actually cut them at appropriate breaks in the song pertaining to the notes flowing down the screen).

7. experimenting a little with fade-in and fade-out, but that isn't what I really want. I want to mesh each segment together instead of getting a black fade. Maybe doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it will soon when I show you what I mean lol.

8. Cut a tiny little test video @ 320x240, 128k mp3 audio, and uploaded it HERE @ 9.4MB for you to download and view. As always, it's in WMV format, so anyone with a Windows PC can view it (encoded with WM9 codec).

couple of things to keep in mind:

1. this is a VERY rough test vid. Mostly a test to see if I could do it. Once all 4 video tracks are on the timeline, I have to do a split in the video for all 4 tracks at once.

I then have to "mute" 3 of the 4 tracks, so only one video track is running with the audio track at a time.

2. The black fades, as mentioned, will be replaced with the scenes meshing together instead (when I figure out how to do it, and if it doesn't look like butt doing it lol).

3. The audio quality should be good already, but it should be even better by the weekend as I ordered a bunch of TOSLINK optical audio splitters and coverters (converts to coaxial digital audio so I can use the coaxial digital audio input on my sound cards! better than analog!).

4. The video quality will improve also as I figure this out more.

5. The Xbox360 footage is in Standard Definition, or SD. This is because it costs $1000+ for a video capture device that will do true HD (720p/1080i/etc).

I'm using the Composite-Out on the HDTV, as well as the analog Audio-Out on the HDTV until I get the digital audio stuff. Using the Composite-Out (the yellow RCA video for those of you who don't know) is limited to 640x480, with the extra added negative benefit of zero signal coming in when using any periphial that uses Component/HDMI.

ie: using the Xbox360 in HD (720p), the audio will come through, but no video at all. The TV does not down-convert the video signal. Only by switching the Xbox360 video cable selector to SD and running in 480i will the Composite-Out on the TV allow video to come into the capture card.

It's a strange complicated affair, but after 3 weeks of fooling around, I figured it all out just in time (Xbox360 Guitar Hero 2 release day!!!)

I so want to curse a lot about this whole affair even more, but I am going to copy this post to the Guitar Hero forum so everyone there can criticize me for being a loser or lame or whatever just like you guys love to do here!

Anyway

This is just a test.

I haven't been to sleep yet, but I will be soon after I post this, then I'll wake up about 3PM and get started on some serious cutting to see how good I can do.

for those of you asking "WTF IS THE POINT OF THIS???"

the point is to show a single song and the differences between the 4 levels of difficulty, Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert.

I chose Strutter because #1 I can play it very well until I get to Expert, and I can at least get 69% (SIXTY-NINE DUDE!!! Bill & Ted again!). Plus I got 100% on Easy and Medium (98% on Hard), so I have two audio tracks without any playing errors on them.

I also chose Strutter because it is one of the first songs you get to play, so I wouldn't have to play the dang game 16 hours to get into Tier5 songs (which I can't beat on Hard and couldn't even get 20% done in Expert, so would be useless to show right?)

ok, enough for now, enjoy the vid.

Here's the link again:

HERE @ 9.4MB

as I will say once more, it is VERY rough and very short. Geared more towards feedback as to the concept, not the skill of the idiot playing the game ;)

more after I wake up!

(PS I also plan to do a serious review of the game a la Gamespy/Gamespot/etc but a full video review, not just a text review...this is a game that has to be seen in action...and I have the DV camera setup to record us actually playing it, and will synch it into this as a finalized review!)

Guest caffeinejunkie

Nice vid Angry. What would be great to see is Jordan or Six from easy to expert. Jordan form hard to expert is practically a whole different song.

But I seriously need to stop playing this game. I just 84% X-Stream on expert without looking.

Jordan is near impossible on Expert from all that I've read at the Guitar Hero forums.

Gonna do some more Xbox360 tonight methinks

gonna pick some popular songs to record though. While Jordan and Six are a couple of my favorites, I'd rather show songs that people recognize (like Stevie Ray Vaughn for AndyT if they release it on Xbox Live)