Sign in to follow this  
jeremy.kes

Install Service pack 2- hangs at loading screen

Get a second drive and install Windows on it. When everything is up and running add your original drive. You will still have access to all your data.

This is how your system should be set up anyway. Or Windows should at least be installed on a separate partition from your data files. Then you can do a clean install of Windows whenever needed without wiping out the data files.

or you can try a windows repair from the OS CD. But Praz is right. from now on you should run a partition on a single drive and keep all your downloads and important stuff on the second partition. that way any time you upgrade to new board and stuff you dont lose your stuff

Get a second drive and install Windows on it. When everything is up and running add your original drive. You will still have access to all your data.

This is how your system should be set up anyway. Or Windows should at least be installed on a separate partition from your data files. Then you can do a clean install of Windows whenever needed without wiping out the data files.

If he's got a working system, he can just hook up the bad drive to that system and do his backup there. Why waist time installing Windows twice? He can just reinstall that drive back into the system with the crashes and try a clean install from there......

Your best bet is to use another drive in the PC as your OS. I'd definately recommend getting a nice 10K Raptor to run your OS off. Also, as stated above ALWAYS install your OS onto at least a separate partition, for exactly the reasons stated above. If it gets hosed (and it will do because MS is rubbish) then you'll be able to blow it away and reinstall your OS without effecting your data.

Your other option is of course to reinstall windows directly over the top of the existing install partition. This will result in a second bootable OS on the drive, which would allow you to backup your files. Of course, once this is done, you'll definately want to blow the whole partition away and start from scratch with a fresh install.

A couple of things you could try before you blow anything away, but please note: many of these have potential to make things worse for your OS, not better:

* How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

* How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

and for some more general informaion:

* Troubleshooting XP startup issues

Hello,

Ive asked about this question before, but i dont think i was clear enough in my questions, so im reposting, sorry if this bothers anyone.

It bothers me to see that all my effort + other users have been totally forgotten/ignored. (I hope not).

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68400

What happened with memtest?

And slipstreaming SP2 to a XP CD?

It bothers me to see that all my effort + other users have been totally forgotten/ignored. (I hope not).

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68400

What happened with memtest?

And slipstreaming SP2 to a XP CD?

Sharp-

I did find your help useful, and thank you, im sorry you felt slighted. The memtest ran smoothly and passed 6 times. I will implement the slipstream as soon as i have a working computer again.

As for now, i am going to order a hdd and when it comes, i will install windows onto that hdd, and use the other drive for data- which is genius by the way... lol that wouldve saved me a lot of headache.

I plan on ordering a raptor. What size would be sufficient... does anyone have a specific product suggestion?

And once i do have windows on the new hdd, how do i go about configuring the hdd's so that the data will be stored on one and the os will be on the other?

alot of people here use the Hitachi Sata drive , there cheap and work grate

Guest bobyjo
OK, so i guess, all i have is like thousands of songs and 10 or so downloaded movies and some other papers that arent entirely life or death to have, just a major pain in the butt to re-rip hundreds of cds.

Should i just abandon that stuff and try for an install... or how difficult is a data recovery or windows repair. to be honest, i would buy a new hdd if that would make things easier to keep my data.

And no im not using usb keyboard, the ps/2 type.

The same thing has happened to me, but a long time ago.

It did not take but one time for me to go a different route.

I purchase a large enough hard drive that I can make a partition of about 30gb and name that partition Windows.

Then the remainder of the hard drive I label as DATA.

I install all games, photo's, music, and files that I need to keep no matter what happens to the OS.

When I get the OS running like I want it, I do a ASR backup, I place the backup file on the DATA end of the drive.

Follow me so far, good.

Now if the OS craps out or otherwise, I place the XP Pro install disk in the top drive and set that drive as #1 boot device.

Boot to the XP Pro install disk, then just after it asks you to press F6 to install raid drivers etc.

You will be prompted to press F2 for an ASR restore.

You will have a floppy with the ASR backup info on it.

That floppy must be in the floppy drive at the time you are gonna do the restore.

The OS will format the OS partition and completely install a new OS.

Then the program will read the floppy disk and access the backup files on the DATA end of your drive.

At this time all your emails, settings, files, everything will be restored back to the exact way it was when you did the backup.

I suggest doing one of these backups every few weeks, because after the restore, you will have a bunch of emails to deal with. The OS will download all the emails on the server starting with the day you did the backup and up until today.

This works so well, that I have an ASR backup on both our systems.

As of today, we have only lost data twice, and that was due to a Maxtor drive failure.

We were not able to access any data on those drives after they died.

There is alot of different ways to back up or just setup "correctly" ;) you could do it this way for instance............

Partition Magic 8.5 or similar and partition your HDD or Raid0 like so

C: 10Gb Winblows

D: XXGb My Documents

E: XXGB My Programs

F: XXGB Spare

G: XXGB SPare 2

etc etc.......

Force your install to load your Program Files and Common Files to the E: Partition.....

When Winblows is installed Move your My Docs to D: partition.

If you setup your install like this then you can similarly image the C: Windows Partition using "Ghost" or Acronis or similar to one of the Spare Partitions.....When and if ;) you hose Winblows then using your image software you can be back up and running in about 5-10 mins depending on your system and how fast it is.

Your Programs and My Docs will be okay if yer winblows is hosed.....Off course its an even better idea to have all your "important data" backed up completely separate from your Raid0 or Hdd just in case the horrible happens and you loose a hdd altogether.

Logan :)