SLI Never Tested by EA

I sent the EA Support Staff a message in regards to Need for Speed Carbon & SLI. It seems as though the demo doesn't support the technology. While this may not seem to raise too many eyebrows, their reply will:

" Response (Leo V.) 11/06/2006 07:37 PM

Hi,

Thanks for writing us at Electronic Arts Technical Support. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Unfortunately, as the demo is not a finished product or an official release, we are unable to offer technical support. Issues we have noticed and received from other customers have been dually noted, and these issues should be fixed in the final release of the game.

As for the SLI support with our games, there's no final note on this as the games were never tested with the SLI technology.

Should you require further assistance with this game or other Electronic Arts games in the future, please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase at (http://support.ea.com/).

Thank you,

Leo V

EA Technical Support "

I would like to draw special attention to the part stating, "...there's no final note on this as the games were never tested with the SLI technology."

...As for the SLI support with our games, there's no final note on this as the games were never tested with the SLI technology...

Thats not a lie: EA games, like BF2142, doesn't support SLI or XFire (aparently)... performance is similar on one card that it is on two, and of course this has a lot of people very angry at EA current game design direction.

There have been people here and there that report better performance with SLI in BF2142... however I don't trust their reports yet, since my own testing tells me its the opposite. More information on this is required.

Wel what do you expect but actually in this one case EA is probability not completly to blame though I am not a fan. SLI just doesnt help until Nvidia makes drivers for it. If EA had some good benchmarks that review sites used you can bet Nvidia would make some good drivers for ti whatever it took. Look at 3D mark Nvidia has invested tons of time and money on that benchmark! Cant blame Nvidia good reviews that test real game play are rare and often confusing. The money is better invested where it will pay off. I dont suppose anyone can buy them a clue?

Actually EA claims SLI, XFire, Widescreen and all those "gadgets" to be a type of cheating for their online games... so, their multiplayer games don't offer support these gadgets, at least thats what I understand from what EA told me about it; yeah, I am an agry customer :rolleyes:

... SLI just doesnt help until Nvidia makes drivers for it. If EA had some good benchmarks that review sites used you can bet Nvidia would make some good drivers for ti whatever it took.

SLI does help always, unless the game engine is old enough to be called Quake3 or something similar. Newer 3D engines react favorably to both SLI and XFire, even if the nVidia or ATI drivers don't fully support those games yet. I have been monitoring this situation since nearly two years now and it has been like that since little after the birth of SLI.

Some 3D engines however, even if new, are not compatible with multi GPU kits... like the latest BF2142 from EA. This has nothing to do with SLI, or XFire or the drivers involved... and it sucks; we are not talking about ineptitude which would be bad by itself, we are talking about dumbness :rolleyes:

no widescreen = no buy (ie: no play since i no buy)

I forgot that ;) that's an add on.

If it don't support widescreen and SLI/crossfire, I don't play it in general.

Hence why my currently most played games are FEAR (with it's now recently released Widescreen support patch ;) ) and Oblivion (which likes widescreen even though I think SLI pisses it off, it does also give some good performance improvements so the . off is worth it)

And it's like I said in my letter to Sierra about FEAR (I got a bunch of other people to write them too, which I think is part of why they put out the latest patch with widescreen support):

"People spend thousands of dollars to build computers that will run your game, even more to get cards to run SLI and play it really well on their brand new 24" or 30" widescreen monitor, then they spend 50 dollars on your game, and it doesn't support widescreen?!?!?"

I think that pretty much says it all, and I'm oh-so-glad Sierra was kind enough to heed the words of fans and add support for it :-D

Keep in mind when Sierra/Monolith were first developing FEAR (you can watch the trailers for before it came out if you don't believe me, you'll see the Logo instead of the Nvidia one) that they were doing so with ATI because AT THE TIME ATI had superior graphics (IE before SLI even came out). Then SLI came out and suddenly everything they wanted to slap in to the game that made it too hard on a single card was possible (real-world physics, killer graphics with slow mo, etc) and they dropped the red team logo like a sack of potatoes. Which, yes that has nothing to do with widescreen... or does it?

"C:Program FilesElectronic ArtsBattlefield 2142BF2142Launcher.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +restart +szx 1920 +szy 1200

All except "+restart" work well with BF2142, and someone in this thread claimed the FOV was perfect in comparison to 4:3... if you BF hating guys have the demo somewhere please verify this FOV theory.