Too good to be true?

DanNeely

New DFI Lan Party UT nF4 SLI-D Motherboard for $70, it's $130 on newegg.

http://www.consumerdepot.com/products.asp?id=UTNF4SLI-D

Description says factory sealed packaging, as is no warantee. The biggest question I have is, do they mean no reseller warantee, or also no DFI warantee? I can deal with nothing from the reseller if I can RMA a dead board back to DFI, but I'd be hesitant to buy with zero protection if I didn't have a guarantee against it being DOA at a minimum.

but if we like ya, we'll try to help you as best we can (we like dudes who read and understand and follow the few simple rules we got around here that also do positive for others in the community).

If the place has a return policy covering DOA's, then I'd be pretty secure grabbing a used original Lanparty NF4 SLI-D. If no warranty that it won't be DOA, I'd pass no matter how good the price is.

The 'no mfg warranty' thing is one of those rare things that might or might not ever come into play...but if you've been around the forum a bit and see the wealth of information (especially the Lanparty NF4 series...thats probably 75% of all the posts in the entire forum), you should hopefully feel good enough in the sense that if it at least boots up and runs at stock speed, you will spend most of your time worrying how to get the darn thing from 2.7Ghz to 2.9Ghz....which isn't covered by warranty either, but we've made many tools and an entire forum subsection for any learning and wall-busting you will need to take in).

er

me shuts the babble-hole now

It's really the no DOA part, rather than the extended support that I'm worried about. I'll try reading the fine print of my CC to see what the terms of thier extended waranty are. I know they'll add a 2nd year to a 1year item, but I don't know if they'll put a year on something that isn't covered at all.

I know they'll add a 2nd year to a 1year item, but I don't know if they'll put a year on something that isn't covered at all.

I would be pretty difficult for the CC company to extend a warranty that doesn't exist.

it might cover the 'DOA' thing by default since you used their card to purchase an item, they want to make sure whatever you purchased will at least work instead of charging you $ and giving you nothing.

American Express is pretty good about this (so good that a lot of retailers won't take AE anymore because of bogus claims from AE's customers and AE just takes it right out of a business's account without warning)

Visa and MC have some consumer protection attached usually. I have a cc ONLY for such needs (and emergencies). I use my debit card (which does not have any protection honestly) in situations like newegg etc because I trust them. If your cc has such protection, that's the best time to use it.

But overall, consider that there is no DOA warranty and do you REALLY want to go through some hassle (and wasted time) if the chance goes bad?

I'd rather pay more somewhere else and get the real board and warranty, or at least get it from a trusted trader here or elsewhere and know that it works lol.

Sometimes saving a few bucks isn't worth the risk/hassle.

Amex's the only card company that ever turned me down, they didn't give a reason but I assume it was related to their prequalifying process only checking that I was still breathing and not the length (very short at the time) of my credit history. My Visa/MC cards only offer doubling services but won't cover anything not provided with a minimum from the manufacturer. Under those circumstances I won't be risking it.

I totally agree with what Angry has said, but I'll give a little experience. I bought an open box Ultra-d off Newegg just a couple weeks ago for $49. it's currently running 8+hr stable at 2.8 with an open box opty 170. Cheap setup, didn't have any issues.