Are the silent no fan cards OK

Syngensmyth

I am looking to buy a no fan video card. Newegg reviews seem ok for the GIGABYTE GV-NX76G256D-RH GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe seem acceptable.

Would like opinions on this and other silent card. I am not an extreme gamer but do like things to work at least when I do play an occasional game. It is surprising that even Rome can challenge most cards.

You just have to make sure you have enough airflow in the case to keep them from cooking, not like all super slow 20cfm fans or anything like that. If you have that you should be fine.

Though I've never found any graphics card fans to be overly annoying to make me want to get a fanless card.

You just have to make sure you have enough airflow in the case to keep them from cooking, not like all super slow 20cfm fans or anything like that. If you have that you should be fine.

Though I've never found any graphics card fans to be overly annoying to make me want to get a fanless card.

Obviously never had an XFX 7900GT then :humph: lol

I looked at that Gigabyte one and got the idea that it didn't cool that well. I ended up buying a XFX GF 7600GS 256MB DDR2 Dual DVI, but then I got the 30-inch display and the performance was pitiful. So... I got the 7950 I have now and installed a Zalman VS900-Cu cooler and hooked up the fan controller that came with it and keep it on low. My rig is very quiet and no complaints about performance now. If I feel I need a little more cooling I have the fan control mounted where I can get to it.

Mike

I have wondered about the after market coolers. Nice to know that is a good option. I am always trying to get quieter which is contrary to cooling and it drives me crazy. Thanks for suggestion.

Quiet cooling is a priority with me, I like big, slow fans.

Quiet cooling is a priority with me, I like big, slow fans.

Speaking of big fans, what are you using for heat sink. I have a Zalman 9500 but it did not do as well as I hoped. Thinking of doing si 120 or Big Typhoon. I have the replacement fan for the chip set but have not installed yet.

Speaking of big fans, what are you using for heat sink. I have a Zalman 9500 but it did not do as well as I hoped. Thinking of doing si 120 or Big Typhoon. I have the replacement fan for the chip set but have not installed yet.

I have a Big Typhoon on my sig rig running a 800 rpm fan and a SI-128 on a second rig, either one is a winner. I run at 37c. with the CPU at 2.6ghz.

I never compared them cooling on the same rig but they look like a similar design. The SI-128 is easier to install with a clip on the existing CPU cooler mount. No fan included and the wire clips to hold the fan on seem cheap but do the job.

I had to mount the Typhoon with the MB out of the rig, it does not use the existing cooler mount only the bottom plate on the back of the MB. It screws on to the MB plate and the fan also screws on. The Typhoon seems like a sturdier setup but in the end when you close the case either one does the job.