What TV Card should I buy??

Novartic_

Ok, with relation to this list of parts linked here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68197

I am after a TV Tuner card for my PC. It has to be ether a PCI or PCI-E X4 slot.

I would like to have free-view on it, I would like to have a remote control, also I would like it to be in HD and also anything else I/you can think of.

Please advise me.

all of the cards mentioned in that thread were standard pci. the ati 550 can be found in pci-1x, but by using that card you are limited to just analog tv.

if you want HD, then i would recommend either the ati HDTV wonder, or the newer tv wonder 650. the 650 is amazing! if you wanted to explore other options, hauppage has a VERY good reputation for their tuners. there is also Kworld, but i have never had experience with them. i have used the ati 550, 650, and hdtv wonder, and have been impressed with all three of them.

i may be wrong, but i dont know of any tv tuner card that uses a pci-4x slot...

Guest Joalaielna

I just got the 650 and I LOVE it! Getting Over the Air HD is kinda tricky and can be frustrating....but it's worth it!

You need a powered antenna to receive the channels. (I got a phillips one for 20 bucks and it works ok. I get about 6 channels.)

Of course it's ATI So your going to have problems with the drivers...so just download the newest ones right after you get it.

Good luck.

ok, i think ill get the tv wonder 650. this is ati radon correct??

can it do free view??

the tv wonder 650 is an ati card, but it isnt a "radeon" card. it is purely a tv tuner card, not a dedicated video card. lol, im not sure if that is what you were asking or not, but i figured i would explain it.

im not sure about free view. i dont know how that works over there in the UK. you may want to either contact ati or your free view provider for more info about that. hope this helps!

Just a couple of quick thoughts ...

Although Hauppage had a great rep, they have changed the brand of tuner and everything is in the dumper (for now).

Read the recient comments on Newegg from those who have reciently bought one.

It's also a GREAT place to find all sorts of fixes and tips for setting up any new tunner.

You really need to decide on what software you want to use to capture the shows from the tunner card.

MCE 2005, or Vista, or Beyond TV4, or Sage TV, or what?

Each one has different tunner requirements you should check out before buying anything.

Finally, I don't think starting out with HDTV is a real good idea.

You can ONLY pick up over the air signals - no cable or sat. yet.

And that adds several additional layers of problems (bad/wrong antena, weak signal, antena pointed in wrong direction, or in wrong location in/on house, etc, etc.) you just don't need when starting.

Think about just getting an SD tuner for now - maybe a dual tuner.

And remember - Black Friday is almost here!

Thanks for that bit of info but I already have an exellent strong signal were I live and I can pick up every channel that i am supost to pick up. Even Freeview is awsome. I dont really care about the software, as long as it can run on XP Pro and can display a good pic via my expencive gfx cards then im fine by that. non of this signal lark affects me. HDTV ftw (not the signal, just the display. or even both.)