Good SKT A HSF? And what are safe temps?

WintersFury

Ok, I've been playing around with my SKT A rig a bit the last few days. And it's hitting about 60c at full load. I think that's well within reason? But what is concidered to be the max safe temps of a Skt A processor (It's a Barton 2600+)

And can anyone recomend a good heatsink that will use the mounting clips on the zif socket? I have a TT Extreme Volcano with a different fan on it currently. Works decent, but I want lower temps without the noise of putting that stock fan back on it...

themralright SI-97 seems to be an excelent skt A cooler,

im trying to keep my puppy under 50°C under load,

60°C is a bit high but its not that much, those could hanfdle alot of heat

Damn :eek2: ... and I haven't even started to OC it yet... Guess I really need a better HSF! Or the temp sensor on my gigabyte is pretty off.

I'll have to look into the SI-97. I saw a scythe one that looked pretty nice as well, but the place I saw em was out of stock.

I second the SI-97, or an SLK-800 or 900 if you can't find one easily (best bet for any of those are forums or eBay). Beware about moving the computer a lot though, those coolers weigh a fair amount and putting that much stress on the socket isn't good.

If your board has 4 mounting holes around the socket, you could always try a Thermaltake Big Typhoon. I have one on my Socket A machine and it stays below 50C when overclocked, and it's completely silent. It's a bit of a hassle to get it on, but you can be assured it won't be going anywhere when you move the computer :P.

That looks almost exactly like the TT Volcano I have on there now. I think I'll try and find me one of those SI-97A's as they have heatpipes and I like heatpipes :)

Anyone know about these? http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4104/cpu...ml?tl=g40c14s50

And thanks to all for the help on the heatsink. But what about temps, is 60c or so the danger zone?

60 C is about the upper limit on those chips when pushed hard, at least as high as I would take one. Mine seems to get unstable past 54 C or so. They're pretty tough though so it should be fine :). I've seen some run in the mid-60s and be fine, although I don't think those were overclocked.