Northbridge cooling suggestions?

exigedriver

Hi all,

I picked up an Infinity 975X/G on Thursday to upgrade my system so I can play FSX. I've successfully OC'd my E6600 to 3.19GHz but seem to have hit a wall. I'm content at the moment but... My northbridge temperature reaches 55-57C and sometimes beyond under load according to SmartGuardian. In contrast, my CPU rarely goes beyond 40C under load, occasionally I will see 44C. I bought a CoolerMaster Blue Ice Pro cooler and put it on with AS5, but it has made no difference, and in fact I think it is actually a little worse than the stock heatsink. Its a small copper heatsink with a fan attached to it.

So a couple of questions:

- Is 55-57C "normal" when overclocking?

- Is there a better air cooling solution?

- Any advantage to water cooling on the NB? Or about the same as a good air solution?

- Can I pick up more fsb if I cool the NB more?

I've seen some NB coolers/heatsinks that use heat pipes and large heatsinks, but because of the placement of the NB in proximity to the CPU, I'm not sure they would fit with the Big Typhoon CPU cooler I have in there now.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good cooling solution and/or tell me if 55C is anything to worry about?

First off, do you NEED 1.75v on the NB and +.075v on the CPU extra to get 3.2 stable on your system? I'm running 3.2 as my 24/7 with stock voltages on everything. The 1.75v really seems like overkill for such a low OC. (Don't you love the C2D's? 800 MHz is considered low. :) )

This is what I use if you have the room:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835109128

My N/B is currently at 27c, but it is chilly in here at about 18c.

sounds like a number of things really, temps that low on the cpu indicate that you are running low vcore.

If you are concerned getting passsed the 'wall' you'll need to increase vcore and as a kind precaution, keep the nb around the 50 degree mark on load (bear in mind the higher the fsb the hotter the nb runs, yes even at the same voltage). Saftey wise around 50 - 60 won't kill the nb, but the 975 does show better stability in the low 40's when really trying to max it out.

as the jaxx said, you only really need 1.70-5 vmch or so closer to the 380-400fsb mark.

You can either get another cooling solution for the nb, or stick a fan accross the stock heatsink (if you chose to oc further and need the higher voltage) for the time being if you wish to do so. Other wise bring the nb voltage down and your nb temps will stay around 50 on load.

regards

Raja

Just about any aftermarket NB HS with fan will markedly improve cooling. The stock Al HS is really inadequate and it's effectiveness reminds me of the horrible HS/fan on the Lanparty NF4 boards. Thermaltake has some nice ones including one with heat pipes. Some cases will benefit from an internal fan to increase flow over the MB.

I ran down to Microcenter and picked up a ThermalTake ExtremeSpirit II, it is a heat pipe cooler similar to the thermalright one but I don't think the surface area is as big. It was the only one they had. I backed the voltage off to 1.65v and now the temp is staying around 46C, haven't loaded it with Flight Simulator X yet.

I still can't seem to get past 355fsb for some reason :shrug: I got it to boot only once each at 360, 363, and 366 yesterday but tried it again and no dice.

• 2 weeks later...