Sign in to follow this  
hclarkjr

need opinions : thinking about buying an ultra D to go with an Opteron

i am currently running the the setup in my signature and want to purchase an opteron 185 as an upgrade to my X2 4200 but my gigabyte motherboard does not support it nor will there be any future bios updates according to gigabyte. i do not want to upgrade to AM2 yet and want to get more use out of my OCZ memory. now my question is i read where DFI does not support using opterons on the ultra D but i am told it will see it and run it. is that correct? with my hardware setup will i face any other obstacles? thank you to all that reply :)

my understanding of the support issue you raised is that it is based on paper alone, no amd motherboard aimed at home user/desktop, supports opterons their primary use is for servers, this is down to AMD not wanting to lose sales in the home sector as the opterons were found to be such overclockers a few years back this was implemented to deter us all, and as you can see it has not..... as your setup is concerned I so no reason why it would not run fine.

My Ultra D runs my Opty 148 just fine, and not to mention the OC'ing ability of this little chip. I will always run DFI from now on and I will use Opty's every chance I get....

Any of the dfi nf4 boards will run the opteron processor.Ill include a link in the overclocking database you can see what user's are using in there setup's.If you do a little research on overclocking the opteron you will find that the 165 or the 170 will give you as much as the 180 in clocking and you can save some money buy purchasing one of lesser cpu's.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10195

Guest Kobalt
i am currently running the the setup in my signature and want to purchase an opteron 185 as an upgrade to my X2 4200 but my gigabyte motherboard does not support it nor will there be any future bios updates according to gigabyte. i do not want to upgrade to AM2 yet and want to get more use out of my OCZ memory. now my question is i read where DFI does not support using opterons on the ultra D but i am told it will see it and run it. is that correct? with my hardware setup will i face any other obstacles? thank you to all that reply :)

Are you sure the gigabyte board will not work with the Opteron? I am betting it will see it just fine. All 939 socket boards should see the Opteron. You may have to set the voltage/multi though.

As for the Ultra-D, when it works, it works great!

i contacted gigabyte and was told that the only dual opterons that are supported are the 165 & 170 with no further bios updates coming for my board

They don't "support" the Opteron because technically Opterons are supposed to be used for workstations.

DFI doesn't "officially" Opterons either, but one look at the OCDB might convince you differently ;)

well for me i want to get more use out of my OCZ memory and for another i will never use an Intel chip. straight AMD for me

Since you are running a X2 now, I wouldn't think that you would have make any changes. The opty should run fine.

UncleDavid is correct. The reason DFI doesn't support the opty is because AMD won't allow it. They want the optys to stay in servers only, since that is their intended function.

i will never use an Intel chip. straight AMD for me

God Bless You,

Hector

Ruiz_Hector16_sm_40846-A_01.jpg

Sign in to follow this