Sign in to follow this  
bryanberlin

FX-55 E-4 or CG??

any input on FX-55 Steppings E4 or CG/// SanDiego or Clawhammer /I'm assuming go w/Sandy

At this point, unless its a guaranteed 2.9ghz+ chip, I'd be going with a dual core opteron, which is pretty much a guaranteed 2.6ghz dual core chip (many have been hitting higher!!!!!). Sandy's have a better memory controller than the clawhammers.

Clawhammers are 130nm, compared to 90nm with SD's. That means they run hotter and typically don't hit speeds as high as the SD.

To me it's a toss up. I recently got a Clawhammer that I got to 2.9 stable but had to scalp it due to heat, and then I got the Sandy from the Egg with the 250 GB HD combo and I can get it to about 3G but keep failing Prime. The Sandy stays cooler, but the clocks are about the same. The Claw does use a few more volts but at the top end they both need about the same... :rolleyes:

$0.02... :cool:

If you are interested I may be parting with both chips. Shoot me a PM if you like.