Loud bang and burned smell - Computer won't start

I was using my computer and suddenly it crashed and there was a loud noise and a burned smell. The computer wouldn't restart as I hit the power button. As the smell was coming from the PSU I changed it for the Antec NeoHE 500 that I had received only a few days before.

Now the PC will power up, but the monitor stays black and the mainboard isn't beeping at all and is showing 4 LEDs constantly lit.

Can you tell what component was beeing toasted during the process?

NO idea what you toasted. Do this exactly step by step with no missed steps and see if it helps any...cpu/video card/mobo...any could be ruined.

Remove power from the system. Pull cord from wall if you must. Or from rear of power supply.

Remove the battery.

Move the CMOS jumper to clear postition (pin 2 and 3).

Move the speaker jumper to on position. Page 7 quick start manual. NOTE: some boards have speaker jumpered on all the time. See manual for your model board.

Make sure you have a wired keyboard plugged into the PS2 port. No USB in other words. USB to PS2 OK.

Leave the CMOS jumper at clear for at least 30 minutes. Most users are finding that staying at this step from 2 to 10 hours; is giving best results.

Put ONLY one ( 1 ) stick of memory in ORANGE slot furtherest from the cpu. NOTE: For NF4 Infinity series motherboard and NF3 Ultra-D board put the memory in the slot closest to the CPU.

Replace the battery.

Set the CMOS jumper back to normal (pin 1 and 2).

Press and hold down the "Insert" Key on the keyboard.

Apply power to power supply again WITH "Insert" key still pressed down.

Press the start/power on button on the rig. WITH the "Insert" key still pressed down.

When you hear the beep from the speaker. Release the "Insert" Key and quickly press the "Delete" key and enter the bios and load optimized defaults. Save and Exit bios and reboot to enter bios to make necessary adjustments. NOTE: on RDX200 or CFX3200 you may or may not hear a beep but the instant any action appears on video screen >> Release the "Insert" Key and quickly press the "Delete" key and enter the bios and load optimized defaults. Save and Exit bios and reboot to enter bios to make necessary adjustments.

I did the steps stated in your guide RGone, but the result stays the same - no signal is beeing put out to the monitor.

Doesn't 4 LEDs lit mean that everything is OK? If that is correct than the video card should be causing the problems, right?

I did the steps stated in your guide RGone, but the result stays the same - no signal is beeing put out to the monitor.

Doesn't 4 LEDs lit mean that everything is OK?

Checking CPU.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

Pull the memory and the video card and you SHOULD now have the board beeper enabled from clearing as you did above and see if you have any beeps...no beeps your failed power supply blew up the board...buy you another board...and even after this there is no assurance that the cpu did not take a dive as well...

RGone...:confused:

But shouldn't the board beep when it fails at the CPU detection? Is it more likely that the CPU or the mainboard is defect?