Sign in to follow this  
Popes

HSF For Lanning

As i'm looking for new heatsinks to stick onto the 3700 that I plan to buy I keep running into a nasty wall. Where should I divide the line between weight and performance. I go to Lan parties maybe 4 times a year and I was hoping that someone here would like to help me find a good HSF that is also not too hard on the PCB.

I'm scared that the BT will either crack the PCB during lan party transit. I've also heard that the BT sounds like well... a big typhoon...

Zalman CNPS9500 or 9700. Does well in the cooling dept. Isn't loud, and also is one of the lightest all copper heatsinks available.

Thermalright SI-120 or -128 paired with semi-decent fan will give you great temps.

Hell, pretty much any Thermalright heatsink is great.

Aspire 520W PSU
New PSU for the win!

One of those things died and killed my friends SLI-DR (he bought it against my recommendation)

Take a look at the Recommended PSU thread for a good solid power supply. The 600w OCZ GameXStream comes to mind as a solid, cheap unit.

I've nothing but good things to say about Zalman and their coolers, though they tend to be a bit heavy.

(Never had any problems with a CNPS9500 + SLI-DR when bringing it to LANs)

If you always move your rig with the motherboard side down you won't have any problems.

This is why computers that are shipped complete always have the motherboard side down and directional arrows on the box.

Guest GripS

Thermalright XP120/90 series are inexpensive and lightweight. Cooling is excellent.

Zalman 9500-I was just going through the reviews and the weight department with a buddy, and this has easily the best performance to weight ratio.

People love their Zalman 9500's but I was not impressed. It ran within a degree of stock right away. After cure of Artic 5 I lost track but still nothing great. I am going to try si128 or Big Typhoon.

Zalman did offer to RMA it but I never got to it.

Sign in to follow this