Sign in to follow this  
kipper123

Help With Overclocking

I hope this is in the right place this is a whole new experience for me I am new to amd DFI Lanparty and DFI STREET. I have been into computrs for about six years now. It all started with a machine I bought from computer infomercial on TV. I started surfing the net and accidently came on the site of cluboverclocker.com and that was the start of my new hobby. I have read many reviews of the lanparty boards so about 5 week's ago I decided to buy one I slso bought an Athlon64 X2 4800+ the memory I started using was XMS CMX 1GB PC3200C2 Dual channel kit and tried my hand at overclocking. To say the least it wasen't a real good experience about the best I could get was about 2210MHZ FSB I think the reason for that was not the hardware but my experience or lack of. I went to my favorite etailer and strarted shopping I bought the opteron 170 and the crucial ram. I looked at quite a few of the tutorials in this forum and I copied and pasted a lot of them to note pad so I could print them. I've the opteron and ram about 4 days now I let the system run for a couple of days before I started to overclock I nomally shut down when the comp isn't being used. I haven't hit a wall yet but I'm starting to get worried now I haven't tweaked any volts except the ram the bios defaults to 2.66 and the spec for this ram is 2.8 so that is what I set at. the timmings are set to spec. 3-4-4-8 I have CPC set for 2T tWR is set to 3 all other settings are set to auto. FSB is 283 core speed is 2834 ram is 283.4 TRC 16 multiplier is x10 HT 850.3. I ran several test from memtest86 from the bios because this is one of the features in this bios. Do I have to worry about burning up the processor running it this fast. I'm running the ram speed at 1/1 200 mhz bus speed. I ran 2 ocassion's of prime95 one for each core both at the same time but I only ran it for about 2 hrs. Everything seemed to be stable with no crashes in memtest I had no errors in 3DMARK 05 I got a score of 12026. I stored the bios in CMOS reload and went back to stock settings During the prime test the computewas still very responsive I tried dragging the two prime 95 windows around and had no problems I done the ctrl-alt-delete salute so I could watch the cpu load and the dashboard in MBM 5 so I could keep an eye on the temps. I know I diden't run prime long enough but I will do that when I think I am done with my OC. Thanks in advanc for any help.

I read a review on this ram at legit reviews http://www.legitreviews.com/article/262/1/ and I bypassed alot of trial my questions are 1. can I hurt this chip by running it this fast ? 2.Would you try to run it any faster? 3.Does this shorten the life of the processor.

Hell, dos'nt look to me like you need much help, with a clock like that :eek2:. In answer to your questions, 1.no 2.off course 3. probably, but you'l be old and grey by then, so concentrate on 2. :D And welcome to the street.

Heat and mainly voltage kill processors. if you aren't running high voltage, and your PC isn't unstable due to heat, you are fine! And dude, use punctuation. They added it to the keyboard for a reason!

Guest julvaz

Kipper123,

I have an opty 170 and the DFI Expert. Can you help me OC your numbers look good , but can you arrange them so I can follow in Genie BIOS? Thanks man

Sorry I'm so late answering your question but I've been busy with some project's around the house (honey do stuff). I have also just changed harddrives maxtor 250GB maxline III with NCQ. Now to your question.( FSB 283) (LDT/FSB frequency ratio 3) (CPU/FSB frequency10). All volt's were left at default except ram board had it set to 2.66 and my ram runs at 2.88. (Dram Freq. set 200Mhz.) (command per clock disable)( tcl 3) (trcd 4) (tras 8 ) (trp 4 ) (trc auto ) ( trrd auto ) ( twr 3 ) (twtr auto ) (trtw auto ) ( tref 3120 ). I haven't done any tweaking yet. With these setting's my system is prime 95 stable for about 3 hour's with no error's. I shut down prime myself. I recommend two good book's if you are serious about tweaking your system. They are Hacking Windows XP,and breaking through the bios barrier they can be bought together at amazon.com for $36.28 which is cheaper then a book store. Keep in mind your result's my not be the same. You may even be able to go higher goog luck.

Heat and mainly voltage kill processors. if you aren't running high voltage, and your PC isn't unstable due to heat, you are fine! And dude, use punctuation. They added it to the keyboard for a reason!

lol little rude to the newcomer i dont think punctuation is a requerment to post forms so i suggest u learn to read without it .... :)

I don't think he meant to be rude; punctuation just makes things more legible.

Blocks of text are harder to read, so if steps or settings can be put in lists then do it! It’s not hard; it just takes a bit more time but is worth the effort for all concerned.

1. Write text
  2. Format text
  3. use punctuation
  4. sit back and admire your literary masterpiece

Good advice is better if its written clearer.

I don't think he meant to be rude; punctuation just makes things more legible.

Blocks of text are harder to read, so if steps or settings can be put in lists then do it! It’s not hard; it just takes a bit more time but is worth the effort for all concerned. 1. Write text 2. Format text 3. use punctuation 4. sit back and admire your literary masterpiece. Good advice is better if its written clearer.

which would you prefer to read