Sign in to follow this  
Epox

Chipset Fan Speed Variance

for a while now there has been this varing drone noise coming from my case, its' been annoying me and I just found out what it was by studying a realtime graph of my fan speeds in SpeedFan, then identified the fan in question using Motherboard Monitor 5, and it turned out to be my Chipset fan... and Motherboard Monitor also reports my chipset is running at 55c.

This has been going on for a while now and although it sounds like a clear cut cooling issue, I'm trying to figure if there is any type of hardware issue that could be causing it to run hot.

thnx

i went ahead and lowered the full fan speed thrushold temp from 55 to 48. What was happening was the Chipset was always at 55/54 and the fan kept kicking into full speed over and over so now it just stays that way. Still @ 53c tho

Could it be a voltage problem?

You could always oil the fan.
NOT advised, and there is no way possible to do this to a stock DFI chipset fan.

A good chipset replacement one is the Evercool VC-RE. It’s quieter and a lot of people get a 5ºC - 10ºC drop in temp. Use AS5 when installing the new one.

If you decide to order a new one do DFI-Street a favor and use the link in Happy_Games signature for the VC-RE chipset cooler. DFI-Street gets a credit and that helps fund the Street.

Evercool VC-RE

Two routes you can go. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43449 What the real world users are doing about the chipset fan. They use Evercool VC-RE... I myself keep the original/OEM chipset fan assembly to put back on the board if the entire board assembly ever needs to sent in for service. I have replaced 3 of my personal oem chipset fans with the VC-RE since they seem to cool better and remain quite.

Or if you are an OEM only type person; then make contact with the RMA Division of DFI as below.

If you are in USA or Canada:

For for hard parts pricing and availability and for rma processing contact rma at dfiweb.com .

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52950 Video Tutorial...

RGone...:confused:

RGone: What could I possible get from RMA-ing my fan or even board? I mean it's not like the fan doesn't work, its just my chipset is is running warmer now. Are you suggesting there may be a problem with the board?

Think RGone is suggesting that if it is making that much noise then it may infact be damaged. Mine is also pretty noisy, and i have an evercool that i'm waiting to install.

One word of warning though: AS5 is electrically conductive, so may not be a good choice for the chipset. AS Ceramique is non-conductive, and in most tests is almost as good as AS5.

Think RGone is suggesting that if it is making that much noise then it may infact be damaged. Mine is also pretty noisy, and i have an evercool that i'm waiting to install.

One word of warning though: AS5 is electrically conductive, so may not be a good choice for the chipset. AS Ceramique is non-conductive, and in most tests is almost as good as AS5.

Even tho I never thought my Chipset fan was abnormally lould, are either of you thinking "well if he can even hear it changing speeds then it must be too loud anyway, thus it is dying" ??

Even tho I never thought my Chipset fan was abnormally lould, are either of you thinking "well if he can even hear it changing speeds then it must be too loud anyway, thus it is dying" ??

It' turning 6000-7000 rpm. If you don't hear it something is wrong.

i went ahead and lowered the full fan speed thrushold temp from 55 to 48. What was happening was the Chipset was always at 55/54 and the fan kept kicking into full speed over and over so now it just stays that way. Still @ 53c tho

Could it be a voltage problem?

I also run at 55

But my screencard heatsink is right above the chipset fan:sad:

So I think the chipset fan is actually using warm air from my screencard to try and cool itself:mad:

So what can I do?

Just leave it like that?

the fan is working great ,no problems there,

so getting replacement will still get the same hot air as the standard one:confused:

The temps will go down with a better cooler, regardless of the temp of the air its using. That being said, I'd be looking at the air flow situation in your case in a situation such as you describe. Maybe you need to have a case fan moving the exhaust air from your screen card out the back. Maybe a PCI slot exhaust fan? Screen card. What is that?