Sign in to follow this  
lena

Constant bluescreening

I've been getting constant blue screens since I got my motherboard, several times a day.

Originally I assumed it was the memory and got it replaced. I still had issues, so I replaced it again for a different brand. Since then, I also got a different video card, and I'm still bluescreening. All of my drivers appear to be up to date. I'm not sure what the problem is.

The bluescreen detects a problem in nv4something.dll, which I assume has to do with the motherboard.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Did you run Memtest correctly during the initial build. If not click on the "Stability Testing Programs" link in my sig.

What kind of psu do you have??????

It's a cheap Antec PSU that came with the case I got. It should be able to support the system I have just fine though.

Did you run Memtest correctly during the initial build. If not click on the "Stability Testing Programs" link in my sig.

Memtest runs fine sometimes, other times fails at stage 8. Haven't ran it recently, I'll try and post results later.

Have you worked with the DRAM configuration settings in BIOS? The system should be able to run Memtest for days without generating an error. With "stage 8" you mean test number 8? If yes, it looks like test 5 and 8 are the quickest way to figure out whether settings work or not. If it doesn't past without error there's no chance in the world you can avoid XP failing; and probably the installation was corrupted as well.

Search the Stock Speed Data Base or Over Clocking Data Base to see if you can find your exact module of memory. Even if your question isn't about over clocking this guide could still be very helpful when working with memory settings: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

When you find stable settings I would suggest you reinstalled XP (if you can enter the operating system without a BSOD try to make a back up of essential information). Your problem could be related to some driver as well, but if the OS isn't stable as you yourself testify, then it's not really worth the hassle to continue using it.

KimTjik is right on the money. If you aren't MemTest stable, you shouldn't even be booting into the OS, as it will just end up getting corrupted and need reinstalling.

What BIOS are you running on the board? Generally, the 704-2bt (Big Toe Modded BIOS) is the RAM friendliest BIOS - and this may help you solve some of your RAM related problems..

What is the model number of your memory - are these the 3-3-3-8 sticks?