Opteron 165 Temps...

After about 3 days of letting my Arctic Silver 5 settle in, I've decided to give my opty 165 some juice (currently testing @ 2.7ghz on stock voltage with no memory divider, gotta love DFI)... I'm now into the second hour of prime95 torture test (two instances running on each core) and CPU temps are holding steady at 51 degrees (plus or minus 2 with fluctuation). At Idle, it hangs around at about 34. My stepping is supposed to be pretty darn good, but I'm not looking for a rediculous overclock. 2.7 to 2.8 will be fine for me... My question is: is 51 degrees too much?

thanks,

but fairly safe?

Prime95 will get your CPU cooking more than normal computing (even hardcore gaming). That being said, you should be fine with those temps, but I wouldn't add anymore voltage without better cooling.

What program are you using to read the temps?

That Zalman hs is pretty decent, I modified one to use on my 7800 GT OC card, it was just sitting in the closet and I put it to good use. I have one running over my X2 @1.58 vcore/2.65 on my SLI DR, 38-41 idle and when priming tops out at 63, but thats after the 8 hr mark. But since you are only running at stock vcore right now, thats what I would expect from that hs. My Opty on the Expert with a 2.7 @ 1.6 vcore, cooled by a CNPS9500, temps are 48-53 while priming for an 8 hour duration. But its naked though. So to answer your question, you are fairly safe right now, but I'd get a better hs.

volts, sounds like you need a little better airflow. If you get good air through your case, your load temps should always stay about the same no matter how many hours you test. The only changes should be caused by outside temperature.

If my processor was that HI i would pull it back a bit. Just because if you look at the thermal fatigue in silicon, like most other things, the cycles to failure decreases as operating temperature increases. Basically, the cooler your processor is, the longer itll live for ya.

Yeah MA, good airflow is the key. Here in my place, I always test during the day, when the sun is out and the ambient temps is higher. Its get cool at night and temps drop during the night, even after playing for 4 hrs cpu temps hover around 39-41 and both my vid cards are at 48-50. I only get those temps when priming. I used to have the system on an X-Aline case, then a Tech Station, now I'm putting it inside this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811112096