3Ghz Opteron Destroyed -

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, thats what I was stumped about too.

I guess no one has ever managed to get 1200 HTT to even boot before.

and probbally read the guide first, and knew its pointless as 900 HTT is not gonna be any different.

guess we'd have to ask the dfi-gods about this one.

Guest Retratserif

He had 1.7 on the core? Thats what did it right there. It doesnt even matter if it was at 20c. Thats just to much juice. HTT being at 1200, could corrupt or shut it down, but I never heard of it killing a CPU.

Have you guy tried a different CPU?

Hi i have 1 question dose the FSB/LTD have to be on x3 when at 3Ghz cause i was running fine for 4 days untell a friend came over and was messing with some setting in the end the cpu stoped working and he said it was cause i had FSB/LTD on x4 so i cant pass blame unless i know x4 is what destroyed it.The Hyper transport clock at the time was 1200Mhz

What exactly does your PC do now , does it try to post and hang or is there nothing but a few LEDs flashing or is it just a blank screen or does your board alarm? Is the speaker jumper enabled?

As for the HTT, if it's too unstable you won't get your PC to post, it's not going to kill your CPU either.

If it's just a matter of windows being borked I don't know how you can say your CPU is dead if your PC can post.

Can you provide some more information please?

He had 1.7 on the core? Thats what did it right there. It doesnt even matter if it was at 20c. Thats just to much juice. HTT being at 1200, could corrupt or shut it down, but I never heard of it killing a CPU.

Have you guy tried a different CPU?

I dont believe he had that much on the cpu.

He was told 1.4+ 114% or something.

he used that I think.

he did use 1.7V on the chipset and 1.4-1.5V on the HTT bus.

the cpu is prime95 stable from dos, and memtest stable from dos, this has been established already.

it is also, not the hard drives, rom drives, cables, motherboard, power supply, or any other of the above.

now he has an opteron 144, its is booting, and overclocking well it seems, ddr 640 3-5-5-10. its the same system, just a new processor, his old one was an opteron 148, he wasn't able to get over 2.5Ghz until he found, some miricle guide, that told him all these pefect #'s, and that cpu died from it.

he is not really, after getting help here, he is after, a person to blame for it. he wants to blame me, for changing the LTD multiplyer down to 3X I guess, or my attempt at removing starforce cd protection from his windows installation, that made him go from ddr 600 2.5-4-3-8 stable down to ddr 500 3-5-5-10 (why does he keep using these timings) @ 3.0ghz. Which shows that it might possibly work still, if he installs the opteron 148 back in once windows is installed on identical hardware, since it was the corrurping windows cause starforce dont want to be removed, that showed us that this issue had arised.

only thing thats wrong with this opteron 148, is it will not install windows, because a perfectly fine windows cd, will not copy over the files, saying some are corrupted and setup must end. so other than the HTT bus, what can be broken?

also gdogg i was not trying to blame you im just trying to find out why. Its not like im gonna ask u to pay for it.... Also the fact that the cpu came out with out unlocking the socket witch bent some pins evenknow we straightnd them to fit in socket it has to be forced alittle .... the reason why it came out of socket without unlocking it was cause it got stuck to heatsink and the lock handel was blocked so im also thinking its one of the pins not maken a full connection

this was a pesonel message from Thunda i email but did not mention the fact the i had bent pins or 1.4v on LTD Bus and 1.7V on the chipset

........................................................................................................

Running the HTT higher then spec would end up being unstable and thats it.. Ive never heard of it killing a cpu..

Why are you so sure the cpu is dead ?

Have you tried another one to confirm this ?

-THunDa

best thing to do is fully straighten all pins.... this takes time...look down the rows ALL directions and straighten them till they are straight....havent heard of anyone killing the HT bus..but you could very well be the 1st...or the 1st to admit it....it is true that the HT bus should not exceed 1000mhz...as far as I know Asus is the only one to achieve safely overclocking the HT bus...

but on the DFI board it should alway be kept under 1000mhz...even if you can get it stable over 1000mhz...why risk it....?

Have you used this windows cd before? I would try another one-that is the only IDENTICAL piece of equipment I see (although I'm guessing you used it to reinstall windows with the Opteron 144?). The PSU I'm guessing is also identical, but I HIGHLY DOUBT thats an issue. It sounds like a messed up CPU-bent pins might explain something. if you can pass memtest, your memory controller is not an issue. Can you install windows on this processor at DEFAULT speeds (everything at default clock speeds)? I have had processors that can prime95 for 24+hours once in windows at the settings, but couldn't install windows at the same settings. Its weird, but windows install routines can mess up because a LAN port is on!

I have booted into windows and run Orthos for 2 hours with the HTT at 1100. This is what the auto HTT setting set the HTT at (2.5ghz, 278fsb). It wasn't what I consider stable, and it was obviously an issue (as I am now at 2.7ghz with stock voltage vs. more voltage 18 hrs Orthos stable, at a 900mhz HTT speed).