Sign in to follow this  
Oc_Stone_AMD

3Ghz Opteron Destroyed -

:confused: Hi i have 1 question dose the FSB/LTD have to be on x3 when at 3Ghz cause i was running fine for 4 days untell a friend came over and was messing with some setting in the end the cpu stoped working and he said it was cause i had FSB/LTD on x4 so i cant pass blame unless i know x4 is what destroyed it.The Hyper transport clock at the time was 1200Mhz

Yeah, clear the CMOS and see if it boots up then.

Don't let anybody but you mess around with your computer :P

yes, because its wasn't the 1.7V on the chipset that did it.

or the 1.4V on the LTD bus.

cause I let you use my board to find out.

yes and lets pass blame on me, for trying to un-install starforce for yah, so you system got stable again. I am uber bad 3.0Ghz killer.

and isn't it wierd how its stable in dos prime95 @ 3Ghz, and in memtest ddr 600, but just cant install windows, sounds like a broken HTT bus to me.

How about you guys?

or was it the 12 fans you had mounted to your cpu heatsink, the thermaltake big typhoon, or the fact, the computer wasn't even in a case, with 2 dogs.

btw, im the accused of breaking his cpu, from windows :P in the registry, removing starforce, which made his computer unstable, like it does for all its users lol.

sry you killed your opteron 148, not my problem.

Yeah, clear the CMOS and see if it boots up then.

Don't let anybody but you mess around with your computer :P

Clear CMOS, unload your capacitors and then don't let anyone mess up with your PC anymore. And yes, those CPU's are really sensitive to any HyperTransport higher then 1000Mhz, but usually they just get too hot and your Smartguard tell you to chicken out or mostly it doesnt boot. Never heard of any Opteron dying for that. Now im curious

Like I said, it had nothing to do with me, helping him get a stable ddr 600, when he was trying to do it @ 1200HTT , 900HTT and some memory timings I gave him, made it stable ddr 600 and 3.0ghz.

Then he installed starforce, made it unstable.

I took out starforce from the registry, windows got borked.

Would never re-install windows again with that processor, tried a dfi nf4 expert, his dfi nf4 ultra-d and some asus 939 board.

All show errors in that, they cant install windows, it says missing files, and errors.

But, memtest and prime95 stable @ 3.0ghz and ddr 600 still. Running from a boot cd.

If clearing the CMOS does you no good, you might want to try your cpu on a different board at stock settings on everything.

When you guys tried with the other boards, I assume you used the same HD's? If so why not use another HD and see if it installs Windows.

we tried 2 different hard drives

3 different cd/dvd rom drives

and tried the windows, on different computers where it did work.

his whole system, is identical to his old one, cept for the opteron 144, in the sig, that was the 148 that he destroyed.

So after all that, nothing worked? How about trying a different memory perhaps, you guys trie that? If that does not work then I suspect the memory controller is shot.

yes we did. that was one of the first things, as you notice, hes running that same memory at ddr 640 3-5-5-10 (bad performance spot for tccd) if you ask me, but meh.

but the memory controller can be shot, when the memory memtests fine?

couldn't it be just as likly, the htt connection got fried out. from burn-ins for many nights at 1200 with 1.4V or 1.5V pumpin on it.

or his processor just had at weak htt bus, cause they recommend 600-1000 dont they?

the htt link connects to the south bridge, which controlls the pci-e bus and pci bus. Is that not right?