Sign in to follow this  
Onixman

Is this holding me back

Ok here is the deal

As you can see i've OCed my rig just a lil bit and still it gave me a nice boost in performance. But, before I instal the Smartguard, the Omega Drivers with its tracking tools and ATI Tray tools, a software from Logitech that controls my mouse sensibility and the Norton Antivirus I ran 3dMark06 once. The score was like 500 higher then it is now, and of course that has to do with all that crap running along on my PC (using some memory and CPU). The "in game" experience has not changed al all, since most games now dont use dual core features and memory isnt the main problem when you have 2gigs. No fps changes.

The problem is that my startup is EXTREMELY slow. Giving my opteron a notch, going to 2.5Ghz (just 100mhz more) made a HUGE difference. I was wondering if:

A - Are all that tracking softwares holding me down? I know Norton does but what about the others? Anyone with experience on that field might help. Any solutions would be great also

B - Im thinking about pumping my memory, going from 2-3-2-5 400mhz to 2.5-3-2-5 430 or even 440 mhz. Would that give me a boost on startup? I know that memory has little to do with improvements on games. After you have a good memory in a great size any improvement doesnt reflect on games. Any good ideas about the pros when you pump your memory up?

thanks in advance

this is simple as is, when you like to benchmark your rig then stop the small prog's because they will slowdown every system no matter, and antivirus prog's you shold deactivate when you playing game's and you'll be fine.

Maxtor caviar HD is this correct i was thinkin it's a WD drive?

I don't use Norton Anti-Virus, just for that reason. It is a resource hog, especially when booting up. You probably, like you said, won't notice a difference when gaming. I use AVG free edition because it runs and don't even know it is there.

When you say "startup" do you mean from the point you turn on your machine to login screen, or from login screen to desktop? If your system is booting slow than it's either your harddrive configuration or cabling. If your system is slow from Login to desktop than it could be from a range of harddrive, overclock settings, to malware/viruses, system clean up. You have to be more detailed on this one.....

When you say "startup" do you mean from the point you turn on your machine to login screen, or from login screen to desktop? If your system is booting slow than it's either your harddrive configuration or cabling. If your system is slow from Login to desktop than it could be from a range of harddrive, overclock settings, to malware/viruses, system clean up. You have to be more detailed on this one.....

I shall clock the time but my Turion notebook with 1gig boots faster to the login area. Its about 10 seconds faster, and its a notebook with less horsepower.

But the great issue is getting to the desktop. Norton can take almost a minute to get to the "ready" status. Before that, all the programs start poping aside my clock and opening some window will just generate delay: only after norton is ready it works perfectly. Starts like a horse, runs like a Ferrari. Thats why i dont think it might be a virus or HD problem. I have a secure cable management wich was done by a proper technician in front of me. Thats why Im putting the blame on Norton and on the other apps.

For those who wonder why does he have Norton: Im trying to secure this PC since its also my workstation for college. In this week for instance it has to work for at least 10 hours straight without failing because im doing ice impact simulation on airship's plates on Ansys Workbench

security take's speed away so stay secure if it's more important to you, and don't worry about benchmark's that much but when playing game's you can turn the active shield off i would say, on my machine it's allway's off and i never have any problem :)