Sign in to follow this  
thejamesvolta

Mobo backplate?!?

I took my motherboard out of my system to replace the chipset cooler (p.s. evercool rules). I noticed that when I took it off of the motherboard tray, it was warped slightly due to my si-128 putting all that pressure on it. The last thing I want is for the board to break. What can I do to resolve this and make everything 'sturdier'?

Side Note: Thanks in advance. Everyone on here is so helpful, this is the best support forum. Thanks to everyone for being so patient and understanding all the time!!!

James. In all my years of comtuter building I have never heard of a MB being broken by the CPU cooler. I don't think I would worry too much about it. As long as you have the standoffs in the right place. I also went with the Evercool. Made a significant difference. Got that bad boy down to 40C. Might try the Thermalright HR-05 SLI. Passive. I've got great airflow in my case. I haven't overclocked yet, but when I do I'll let you know the results. Happy Tweaking, Ken

Yeah, this Infinity board has a slightly different CPU socket bracket design than the reference, using a plastic pin rather than a screw to plug the bracket onto the MoBo. Actually it's different than what DFI shows us in their website, which uses screw -AFAIK if the plugging uses screw, then the MoBo MUST have a backplate, usually a plastic one.