Sign in to follow this  
ghost6303

heat spreader removal on core2

was wondering if anyone ever had the balls to take the heatspreader off a core2, i hadnt realy found any accounts of people doing it. and if you have is it worth the risk for the temp drop? im thinking about it but i want to know exactly what im doing before i have to throw away several hundred $$

They may be soldered on. I believe I read someone tried and actually got worse temps. The favorite thing is lapping the IHS.

They are soldered on. There are guides for doing it, but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you can handle destroying it.

not a diy job by any means, though there is someone who offers the service quite cheaply on xs, and he's located in the states. Depends if you're comfortable with having the core naked. I did this on my amd 4800 x2 and it did knock 10 deg's off the idle and gave me about 100mhz more stable, worth it or not is up to you. When I sold it, I just glued it back on. With Core 2, I think it'd be tricky to glue it back, but not impossible, you gotta substitue the solder for a good glob of TIM. I'm under phase now so keeping the ihs on is better (due to the fragile nature of the core under pressure from the mounting and condensation possibilities).

I forgot who did it, but someone did on XS.

You have to cut the epoxy around the edges and then heat the center of the IHS to melt the solder (about 70C+) and then it should just come off.

the method is a little more delicate than the description, i'd rather give my cpu to someone trusted who has perfected the art...

I forgot who did it, but someone did on XS.

You have to cut the epoxy around the edges and then heat the center of the IHS to melt the solder (about 70C+) and then it should just come off.

Didnt the core get ripped off on a few occasions also? LOL

Didnt the core get ripped off on a few occasions also? LOL

Quite a few occasions. The success rate for a fully functional processor seems to be somewhere between 15% - 20%.

I think freecableguy mastered it and could do it every time, he was offering a service to the members for a very reasonable fee...

I'd rather just leave the damned thing alone.. :P

ya, this is my feeling too

at 3600Mhz...I know my cpu is decent and the performance is great....and I spent $360 of this forum's money (donations) to buy it..but I look at it as if I spent my own $360 for the cpu...

so removing the heatspreader...to get a couple degrees lower temps and MAYBE a little higher clocks (but not guaranteed as we've seen with hundreds of AMD64 users who cut the IHS off...most didn't get any higher clocks, just slightly lower temps)....is it worth it?

no, not really

the better choice for me is to lap the top of the heatspreader to a true-flat surface...warranty is still void as if you took off the IHS, but its a heck of a lot more reliable than removing an IHS that has solder between the core and the IHS in my opinion...and the results...will probably be nearly the same as if you removed the IHS (but with a lot better chance that your cpu will still work)

Lapping is the way to go with these. I intend to lap my two E6600's sooner than later. I just need some better sandpaper, time for a supply trip to wally mart..