Sign in to follow this  
Nijle

Strange Power On Issues

Now its worse, now when i shut down the pc, and go to turn it back on the standby light barely flickers on/off as well as the troubleshooting lights (normal brightness, the ones at the bottom) are flashing, and the Lan light flashing, power light on case flashing. Push button again NOTHING. I have to flip the psu switch in the back to off then back on then push button to get light to come on, then push button again to make system come on. I am at a loss as to what to do so now my nightly routine when i'm done with the system is to shutdown windows pc turns off and i flip the power switch on teh back of the PSU so when i go to turn it on like "normal" (pushing power button twice) the next day. Also note the same symptoms happen when using the buttons on the mobo.

Above equals power supply or board...since everything is the boards fault first...then first rma the board and remove it from lists of possible problems...can't get much easier...

RGone...:confused:

Have you tried removing all the front panel connectors and powering up from the onboard switches?

If these are on the wrong pins it could be bridging the wrong connections and doing horrible things to your board and PSU.

I have the same problem with a DFI Expert and an Enermax 620.

I noticed that the board powers on perfectly if I unplug my video (Radeon x1800xt). Could this be a problem with high end Radeon cards sucking up too much power from the board on startup?

These cards have a big fan that spins at full speed when the computer is turned on, and the fan uses power from the motherboard, not the PCI-E power connector.

Anybody have any ideas? I really don't want to have to buy another mobo or video card.

Hello,

What happens when you stop mixing memory, use 1x512MB in the top orange slot.

I tried that. It didn't seem to have any effect.

I have also tried disconnecting my other pci divices and the power connectors to my hard drives.

In my case, after powering down, the power switch on my case and on the mobo no longer does anything at all when I click it. I have to cycle the switch on my power supply before my system will boot (And I usually have to try two or three times -- it's like trying to start an old lawnmower).

Separating my power connectors so that my video card has one rail just for itself seems to have helped a bit. I have an Enermax 620, so I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem..

My previous mobo, an Asus A8N SLI Premium, seemed to work ok with this power supply. I had a few issues with it, but I'm pretty sure it was due to the mobo and not my power supply.

I guess Enermax and DFI just don't get along. I'll probably end up swapping power supply's with a friend (Which sucks, since my enermax was 2x as expensive as his).

I tried booting the system again tonight and it wouldn't get going at all. Unplugging fans and swapping memory didn't do the trick.

All my fans start to spin for a fraction of a second before I lose power. It seems like clicking the power switch makes the system try to start two times (I'm guessing this is intentional).

Since my system starts perfectly when my video is not plugged in, and the enermax is known for having very stable voltages, could this be related to my video card? I'd hate to go through the process of swapping out my power supply with an inferior one only to find out it wasn't the power supply that caused my troubles at all.

I am a new DFI user and new to this forum. I am having the same problem I believe. Just starting new build after returning a failed ASUS A8n SLI deluxe (another story - combination of stiff slots and flimsy MOBO tray - reinforced tray before this build). So far I am justing running the MOBO, 2 sticks memory and the video card. Have 24 pin, two 4 pin cpu and floppy power connectors plugged in.

The problem is the front power switch (or MOBO power switch ) does not work unless I power down the MOBO (with PSU switch) for about 5 sec's. Also tried a reset from BIOS once and it did not load BIOS after pressing delete.

I am also having similar problems, however I couldn't boot at all. The problem just happened today. The mobo has the yellow light on the bottom so i'm guessing its getting power but I couldn't get it to power up by the front panel power button and the power switch on the mobo. I don't think I have any extra parts to swap out and test my hardware. I've had the the computer for about half a year. At the time I updated the mobo bios with winflash, before finding this site. I think I have the April 2006 Bios (I'd check if my computer would turn on).

Guest erico
I am also having similar problems, however I couldn't boot at all. The problem just happened today. The mobo has the yellow light on the bottom so i'm guessing its getting power but I couldn't get it to power up by the front panel power button and the power switch on the mobo. I don't think I have any extra parts to swap out and test my hardware. I've had the the computer for about half a year. At the time I updated the mobo bios with winflash, before finding this site. I think I have the April 2006 Bios (I'd check if my computer would turn on).

I have the same PSU on my ASUS AN8-E RIG. The Antec works fine with the ASUS board but not with my DFI MOBO. DFI MOBOs need more and cleaner power.