Sign in to follow this  
systmdfect

Need advice to finish build

Hello, this is my first post here, but I have extensively read many threads and all the rules.

First off let me start by saying this will be my second computer using a DFI. The one I am using now is an old socket A NFII. This will be my first complete build from the ground up. On the one I have now the ONLY thing I did not do myself was mount the mobo (I have a fear that I will fry it because 2 days prior to getting mine my stepbrother fried his during mounting). Although I do not overclock 95% of the time I do know how to adjust voltages and timings, and other simple tasks. In short I don't consider myself a newb, but there is still quite a bit I don't know yet.

Now on to the real deal. Ok, I'm building a socket 939 for 2 reasons. To replace my old socket A, and because AM2 isn't completely stable yet(and it's expensive). The information in my sig is what I will be using for this build. I'm not 100% sure the memory will work but it is from my NFII DFI board. I know the PSU will based on what I've read in this forum. The Video cards I will use will either be a BFG 7900GS or GT version and I might go SLI in the future. This is why I was looking at the NF4 Expert and the NF4 SLI-DR. Will I have any problems with either of these? I like the expert because of the space between PCIE slots and the power connections it uses which are 24pin, 8pin, and a floppy during SLI right?

Any information to help me decide between the Expert and the SLI-DR is appreciated. I plan on ordering the board and video card this weekend.

Thank you!

-dfect

Systmdfect, Welcome to DFI-Street

My opinion get the Expert and some OCZ EB or G.Skill F1 HZ. Your rig looks great.

Expert motherboard manual page 68-71.

The requied power connectors to be plugged into the motherboard are;

24-pin main power connector

8-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

4-pin 5v/12v floppy connection or FDD-type

Guest element

@ systemdefct. Imho Latency isn't as needed as your old socket A.

Hence all the loose loose timings in the O.C database. The MHz is the most important thing to an A64.

But then again, with a high multi on the FX 55, you can OC a bit and still get a pretty tight timing. But if you plan to OC to the max, then a pc4000 will help you further.

you might as well just get AM2 at this rate.

infinity m2 board is good. and cheap

get some ddr2 memory. and OC it.. thats the point of getting DFI right? =]

cause the DC cpus are basically the same price AM2<->939.. and ddr2 can last you until your next board change when ddr3 drops

you might as well just get AM2 at this rate.

infinity m2 board is good. and cheap

get some ddr2 memory. and OC it.. thats the point of getting DFI right? =]

cause the DC cpus are basically the same price AM2<->939.. and ddr2 can last you until your next board change when ddr3 drops

Well first of all, I already have my 939 cpu. Secondly i'm in college and don't wanna drop a lot of money of DDR2. And Third I don't play a whole lot of games, but what I do I want to run it well. Most games I play don't require extremely hardcore machines to enjoy, but my socket A can barely handle them(and AGP is dead anyway). And the reason I'm going with DFI isn't for the overclocking abilities like most people use, which is nice. I'm going with DFI because I've loved the stability, and I know the bios.

Firstly, you should really be sure that you get a PSU off the recommended list. They are on there because they are known good performers, and are used by many, many members here...

Secondly, the expert and SLI-DR have different connectors - but all must be plugged into the Mobo. Any other information is out of date, and should be ignored.

Lastly, have you considered the MSI 7900GTO? This is basically an underclocked GTX and it is much cheaper...? Of course, you can then OC it yourself (with some decent cooling)...

Also note we've added the Corsair HX-620 (620w) psu and I can honestly say it is EXTREMELY recommended as a top psu, and we've added 3 Antec units, and a Hiper unit!
Ganders75, where have you been mate……:P …He is selecting a recommended PSU with the Corsair HX620W PSU. It is hard to keep up with Dave and Happy. They have been really busy with testing all kind’s of good stuff. :D

Recommended! - DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

Lastly, have you considered the MSI 7900GTO? This is basically an underclocked GTX and it is much cheaper...? Of course, you can then OC it yourself (with some decent cooling)...
This sounds like good advice. I am going to check it out for myself. Thanks Ganders75. :)

Haha - my bad - actually i breezed his sig and didn't even notice a PSU on there! ;o) Dave and H_G known their crap though, so i'm sure he will not be disappointed...

There's a few people on here using those GTO's - i'm still trying to convince myself not to buy a couple of them myself to be fair ;o)

First of all I would like to apologize to the mod for posting in the wrong section (motherboards instead of recommendations).:O Secondly, I've made my choice, I'm going with the Expert edition and an EVGA 7900GT. If my memory doesn't work I'll get 2GB OCZ. Thanks for the opinions and help.

Smart choice, Expert is superior board plus it has great layout for the RAM.

A friend of mine bought that same video card. Nice hardware.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Sign in to follow this