Sign in to follow this  
Genius

Boot Problem...Please Help

updated to newest bios...still doesn't work. boots once after a cmos clear but after that it flashes the fourth diag. led and won't boot untill cmos is cleared again. memtested ram, it is fine. any more suggestions? should i rma the board? thanks again for all your help

Genius

Are you having both sticks of ram in or just one? Try with one! Like Rgone already stated. Your ram maybe the problem!

Are you having both sticks of ram in or just one? Try with one! Like Rgone already stated. Your ram maybe the problem!

I have only been using one stick of ram, it showed no errors after 8 hours, I've tried it in all slots, I've even used a stick that ran fine in an older dfi board of mine and it wouldn't run with that stick either.

I agree, but this is my friends computer and he wanted to build it on the cheap.

Well I don't agree and neither will more than 90% of the users in the forum agree that it is genius to even contemplate a DFI NF4 build with value/cheap/white box/off brand components or those components not known to work in the majority of builds by mainstream DFI enthusiasts. It is not genius to wander off the path of known working in the interest of cheap...they make cheap or non-enthusiast boards for the little cheaper DIYer.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50010 Listing of some by memory sticks by IC type and about the last information you will find since DDR1 is fast nearing end of life now in Nov of 2006.

Last edited by Punisher! : 06-25-2006 at 12:29 AM.

Anyone see PNY on that memory list anywhere? Nope I did not either...and that thread has been in use for over 18 months and as far as I can determine never did any enthusiast opt for that PNY memory...not one I can find in the first page list of many many enthusiast sticks of memory. Also note that the thread was last updated in July of 2006 and that fits exactly with the huge push 'away' from DDR1 to DDR2 memory and boards...over 18 months of users helping to update the mainline enthusiast memory specs by IC for better knowledge of how to configure the memory and not one stick of PNY posted to the main page...gawd almighty...that hits me hard between my old eyes...and actually rings a bell with me.

Classic memory issues:

1. Clear cmos and get one boot.

2. Booted one time but hale if I know how it did it. (probably did not Load Optimized Defaults)

3. 3 Leds on and the fourth flashes and then quits...(classic memory not compatible symptoms). NOTE: single stick of memory should only be tried in the ORANGE slot furtherest away from the cpu...at times the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu may work.

So in the short sense of the word...the board is probably fine...but the work of the system intergrator has failed. In the world of DIY...the system intergrator is the DIYer his ownself. Be the system intergrator the actual owner of the board or a bud suggesting parts for a configuration...it still falls on one or the other to ensure the parts/pieces are pretty sure to be compatible and by and large compatible.

I can throw a wild guess at where the board was bought by the brand of memory...could be wrong but I bet it was at TigDir.com...they did have some Ocz memory at one time but it was not then cheap nor now either most likely...but the correct sticks of some of the Ocz parts that TiDi.com had did work...no idea what is still available there now.

Since good system intergrators test a number of parts and pieces for use and compatibility and the home DIYer seldom has that route available to him...the best place to start a proposed DFI NF4 series build is in the Stock Speed or Over Clocking Data Bases...there can be found what some previous DIY system configurator has found workable. It really does not get much simpler than that...All the parts and pieces listed in the data base and then the timings and voltages and bios used by the DIYer when he tested to make entry to the data bases...A freeken gold mine of information such as is not found for any other brand of motherboard in the entire world...none have such dedicated information...or the wealth of same.

For any of the rest of you reading and wondering about the EOL of DDR1...I have spoken recently with a couple of OCZ techs and it seems that this memory is pretty much going to work...h*ll yes there can always be an exception but in the overall scope of things to be able to go to the most highly used online buying site...this stuff here seems to about it as DDR1 reaches the bottom of the barrel for all brands and the ability to actually but some memory with a darn good chance of working...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146970 There might be others that will suffice with the DFI NF4 series but when I asked about compatibility...I was asking about the ability to install in the Orange slot furtherest from the CPU and boot up and Load Optimized Defaults and then tweak the memory for a little more headroom/ease of use and the JSP's of the world likely be able to go on with their computering...that is the way in which I asked about 'compatibleness as DDR1 reaches EOL...end of life.

So in tying up any loose ends...the memory is super suspect as a 'bridge-out' in progressing much further...power supply suspect as well in the long run...

Look in the manual for jumper to enable the onboard 'buzzer/beeper'. Pull the board from the case. Remove the memory and video card AND ensure all the power inputs ARE inputted...now try and start the board with NO video card nor memory...IF the onboard speaker gives off beeps like one long repeating beep...beep...beep...the board is likely good (96% + good) and what is plugged in is either not a good fit for the board or in some manner defected.

Then if the DIYer persists in going a cheap route...get a vanilla board since the DFI NF4 LP/UT series of boards was designed to overclock like a beeatch and use premium fuel...i.e. fast compatible pieces.

NOTE: It took a while to start and finish my posting above...during that time I see that some other stick of memory has been tested with similar results to that purchased for the build originally...the answer to that is still in the paragraph above that begins with the words..."Look in the manual for jumper...". Following that will give much clearer idea of the situation/symptoms at hand. Also the 704BTA.bin bios which is not warrantied or supported by DFI has been the choice of many many users in the forums...it was modded simply to allow a 'more likely' booting of more brandings of memory.

RGone...:confused:

Alright, i get the point im going to buy some new parts tonight.

CZ GameXStream 700-Watt Power Supply

G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

I wouldn't buy 2x512MB anymore but that just me! If you play games and stuff like this you need 2x1GB these days! :rolleyes: The PSU you getting is great! Look my sig!

i was having the same issue, but i found that using DIMM 2 + 4 solved the problem (before i was using 1 + 3).

i think you have already tried this, but hopefully it will help someone else.

good luck with the new HW, im interested to see how it goes.

i was having the same issue, but i found that using DIMM 2 + 4 solved the problem (before i was using 1 + 3).

i think you have already tried this, but hopefully it will help someone else.

good luck with the new HW, im interested to see how it goes.

:) What you found is not entirely "new" and if you had followed the Build Guide then would most likely have saved you some "grief" ;) orange slots always first, and if they don't work then try the yellow slots, for single sticks the furthest from the cpu, or nearest the edge.......

Logan

ok, my psu and vid card came today i installed them both and stilling having the problem, but that is to be expected because i haven't installed my ram yet, that will come tomorrow

but... i was still fooling with it and found that even with the ram and video card unplugged it still just flashes the fourth led, until i do a cmos clear and then it will beep, indicating that the ram is missing.

ok, my psu and vid card came today i installed them both and stilling having the problem, but that is to be expected because i haven't installed my ram yet, that will come tomorrow

but... i was still fooling with it and found that even with the ram and video card unplugged it still just flashes the fourth led, until i do a cmos clear and then it will beep, indicating that the ram is missing.

And I'm pretty sure RGone will tell you that if you are getting a beep with no memory installed, the M/B is OK 99 percent of the time.

My motherboard would not beep with no memory, and it was a M/B problem.

512KBx2 will get you running, but your friend will not be happy playing BF2.

You could try using the loose memory settings to get it to boot, but that would defeat the purpose of the build. Try 3-4-4-8 with 2T 5/6 and see if that get's you there. My initial build was trying to do the kingston hyperx, what a disaster that was. I feel your pain, but the suggestion to get new memory is the right one. You'll see tomorrow (I hope, as nothing is 100 percent in this world except death and taxes).