Are WD Raptor Hard Drives Really Worth It?

Polizei

zkissane, that doesnt explain why my music skips and data transfer between the partitions slows down during ripping.

At the time, I had my E6600 @ 3.4GHz and used DVD Decryptor to rip the DVD to my hard drive. My LiteOn was reading at 2x instead of 16x (why? :confused: ) so I know the data transfer from the DVD to my hard drive wasnt maxxed out.

What Im trying to eliminate is the skip in songs and the slow data transfer - I have programs on the C partition on my single drive and storage (media and files) on the T partition. While ripping to C and trying to play a song from T, I get crazy skippage in music and near nil transfer rates. If I ripped a DVD to the RAID 0 array (the one Windows and programs will be on), I could play music from the storage drive without skipping.

Note: After the ripping was complete, I would use DVD shrink to cut the file size in half of the ripped DVD, and then cut/paste it onto my storage drive.

After I get some money (working over Thanksgiving Break from college), Im going to spend the $110 and get 2 Seagate 7200.9 80GB SATA II drives and RAID 0 them for Windows/programs.

Im sitting in my engineering lab right now, supposed to be working on this bastard program called MatLab, so I dont have my motherboard manual with me... will I need a floppy drive to set up RAID or do I need to enable it in BIOS and thats it?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can use either, it doesnt matter to me. I just have some uber ghetto-looking floppies.

Ive never bought one, just salvaged them from old computers, so I dont have an face plates for them, just the bare drives.

Im sure I could manage something with a CD as long as it was the first boot device and if I had any blank CD's at all. Ill figure something out.

I'm using a single WDD 72GB 10,000 rpm Raptor in my main gaming rig. I also have an old 20GB Hitachi 5,400 rpm and a WDD 60GB 7,200 rpm HDD in two other rigs. Not sure about any benefit in CD ripping, but I can say with a certainty that playing games that need to load from disk (HDD) during game play load far faster on my single Raptor than on the slower drives I own. Pair up with good LL RAM and my dual core processor, when I see "Loading" in any games it's gone in a flash on my Raptor, reduces lag time greatly.

My LiteOn was reading at 2x instead of 16x (why? :confused: ) ...

While ripping to C and trying to play a song from T, I get crazy skippage in music and near nil transfer rates.

polizei,

IMO this is because our (I also have couple of lite-on's) LITE-ON's are POS when it comes to audio ripping from cd's! I don't think it's related to hdd's.

here I found my related post (read my first 2 paragraphs): http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.ph...412&postcount=4

i remember reading in different places that some lite-on drives are causing the slow speed in audio ripping with some software.

Did you try a different optical drive? A plextor for instance...

I have a couple small raptors in raid0, just because. I read now that raptors do not really benefit from raid0. I do not like raid because of the dangers of something happening and having to set things up again. I once lost a raid by flashing bios on a Abit board.

Raptors are very fast without raid. I find it enticing to use the larger raptor, say 150, for os and programs. Getting the speed without using raid0 would be nice. No question they cost more.

Speaking of Hitachi. I never had a hard drive failure in my life until I had 2 Hitachi Death Stars go down within days of each other. I pulled the rest before they went and never went back. I have never dared use them again. They gave no warning what so ever, just BAM. This was years ago and they had known problems and they saaaaaaaaaaaay they are better.

Iv'e used 2 Raptors Raid0 for two years and also single raptors with SocketA,754,and now 939.In my personal experience,WinXP loads faster,applications and games load faster than IDE drives.YMMV but the faster seek times are what makes Raptors good.Cons? Price per GB.I wouldn't trade mine for SATAII.:)