Sign in to follow this  
wdEvA

arctic cooler 64pro users

I have Expert board ... facing front ... so airflow to back exhaust

<- [ X ] <-- { {x] <-[ [X]

(Rear) (64Pro) (Icage)

120mm 92mm 120mm

hmm.. after changing the fan to face the exhaust, the fins are blocking my 1st orange ram slot,

wonder if i change to a xp-90/xp-120, will i still have these issues?

Thanks

dont wish to do anything to mod the HSF, so intending to selll it off and get another cooler, will the xp90/xp120 have the same problem?

hmm how about the gigabyte G-power BL?

i wun wanna face the cooler back down again, as i could see a temp difference, and the tot of not getting the best out of the cooler isnt right =)

The AC 64 may be unique in that it is the only "clip-on" that will work on a "lidless" processor WITHOUT modification. The retention bracket for the XP-90/XP120 types will need to be filled down to make contact.

The reasoning for pointing the AC 64 to the rear is to insure that the hot air is removed from the "non-fan" side of the cooler and out through the exhaust.

The physical location of the exhaust fan will make a difference as well.

On my G5 case mod, when the AC 64 is mounted facing up, only about 25% of the exhaust fan is blocked.

With a 120mm in the 5.25" an enormous amount of air continually blows over the fins and out through the exhaust without any obstructions.

Your results will depend a lot on case design and exhaust fan positions. GL

The retention bracket for the XP-90/XP120 types will need to be filled down to make contact.

hmm what do u mean by tis?

The retention bracket for the XP-90/XP120 types will need to be filled down to make contact.

hmm what do u mean by tis?

Hope I am not spreading disinformation here, but like a mobile A64 754 CPU it's going to be sitting lower if it has had the IHS removed.

There are four "nubs" or stand-offs on the bottom of the Thermalright retention bracket that if filed slightly down will allow for better contact with the core when the IHS is removed.

Certainly not recommending the removal of the IHS as I have had some CPUs that do just great with IHS on. But sometimes you get the CPU slightly cooler with it removed.

Either may, both coolers are excellent choices.

how the tension on the brackets?

some reviews on newegg said the amount of force it places on the brackets and the amount needed to install the cooler was significant. there were even cases of the stock bracket breaking over 6+ mos.

i was really keen on getting this, but if it breaks brackets, i rather spend the extra on a thermalright.

I found the AC 64 extremely easy to mount. As easy as the AMD OEM.

Breaking of the stock bracket sounds like it was mounted incorrectly.

Not a big fan of the NewEgg reviews for accuracy

I've had XP-90/XP-120 as well and they are very, very good.

I've got the SI-97A mounted on a socket A XP2600+ Mobile and it's downright awesome.

All good choices but the important thing is correct seating of the HSF with just the right amount of TIM.

A little lapping never hurt any of them. :)

I found the AC 64 extremely easy to mount. As easy as the AMD OEM.

Breaking of the stock bracket sounds like it was mounted incorrectly.

Not a big fan of the NewEgg reviews for accuracy

I've had XP-90/XP-120 as well and they are very, very good.

I've got the SI-97A mounted on a socket A XP2600+ Mobile and it's downright awesome.

All good choices but the important thing is correct seating of the HSF with just the right amount of TIM.

A little lapping never hurt any of them. :)

hmm the layout of the ultra-D and NF4-D is the same right?

so does the xp90/xp120 blocks the 1st orange slot?

hmm btw for those 2 Heatsinks, the fan is supposed to be blowing at it, or taking air away?

thanks.