Video Card Upgrade Questions.

Guest Timmay_merged

I currently have the system in my sig, and I am looking at either...

• Getting an additional 7900GT. Cost: $350
  • Selling my 7900GT and getting a 7900GTO. Cost: $200~
  • Suggest.

I have a 1440 x 900 Res screen, that is staying and I am wanting something that will give me some more frames at that resolution - so ultra high resolutions don't apply. I am looking at playing Crysis on this set up hopefully (yeah DX9 isn't desired, but that's the go).

Games I play currently are BF2, FEAR, FarCry, CS:S

Or should I just sit it out and wait a bit longer for GPU prices to drop with the new 8800's coming out soon?

Cheers.

The only drawback I can see going SLI (other than higher costs) is the fact that the memory will not become 512MB in SLI, but rather it will be 256MB shared. The SLI will most likey gain you the most increase in what you initially want due to the increase in actual graphics processing.

In effects, as far as I can see the MSI GT's and the eVGA GTO's (as well as other brands) have same pixel pipelines, shaders, etc. I personally would go SLI. I mean, your PSU can definitely handle the load.

I think if you were just going to go for the 7900GTO, I would wait. But that is me.

Good luck

boo

Hi Timmay,

For that resolution, you'd be mad to go SLI, & the move to a GTO would be hardly noticeable. Certainly not worth $200.

Save up for one of the new hotties - they ain't that far off. :)

Cheers for the ideas guys... I thought it was a little over kill for me to move up for my size screen.

Yeah you can still get GTO's in NZ.

I am like most of the others and say stay with what you have and wait to see about the g80 core and what those new cards will bring (Nov 7 is my guess on the anouncement during the NvidiaLan in CA)

also have you pushed you 7900 by OCing the video card?? both systems below test out on 3Dmark06 about the same and the only thing not factory OC right now is the 7900GS its at about a 20% over the stock clocking to match the other one.

No, I have never OC'ed the 7900GT after I got it and heard about all the cards dieing I was too scared to try it.