Cleaning the contacts on your RAM.

red930

Here's a good cleaning technique for the contacts on your RAM.

Over time corrosion will build up on the contacts at the edge of your memory modules. Nothing can be done about it because it's a force of nature.

Warning. You can ruin your RAM by zapping it with static electricity so be careful because you can't blame anyone.

I've found that using the eraser from a regular #2 pencil will remove the patina from the contacts.

I place the contact edge of the PCB on the edge of a counter. This means that the memory modules or the heatspreaders are not in contact with the counter in any way.

Using the eraser, gently rub back and forth along the contact points in short firm strokes. This will ensure that you are in complete control of the module and the eraser at the same time.

Once you have one side done simply flip the module over and clean the other side.

As you use the eraser on the contacts you will see that they become much cleaner almost to the point of shining.

I use a nice clean lint free cloth to clean the debris from the PCB and contacts and stick the RAM back in the rig.

This has resolved many memory errors on rigs that have been in place and running for a year or more.

Here's a good cleaning technique for the contacts on your RAM.

Over time corrosion will build up on the contacts at the edge of your memory modules. Nothing can be done about it because it's a force of nature.

Warning. You can ruin your RAM by zapping it with static electricity so be careful because you can't blame anyone.

I've found that using the eraser from a regular #2 pencil will remove the patina from the contacts.

I place the contact edge of the PCB on the edge of a counter. This means that the memory modules or the heatspreaders are not in contact with the counter in any way.

Using the eraser, gently rub back and forth along the contact points in short firm strokes. This will ensure that you are in complete control of the module and the eraser at the same time.

Once you have one side done simply flip the module over and clean the other side.

As you use the eraser on the contacts you will see that they become much cleaner almost to the point of shining.

I use a nice clean lint free cloth to clean the debris from the PCB and contacts and stick the RAM back in the rig.

This has resolved many memory errors on rigs that have been in place and running for a year or more.

Used to use a eraser for cleaning the rails on the kids train set.

Good tip!

Tmod

Guest thespin

DO NOT ATTEMPT!

After the eraser, rubbing the edge (flatwise) of a penny back and forth across the contacts is a nice finishing touch.

I do it on all external electrical contacts before I install ... even new ones ...

DO NOT ATTEMPT!

DO NOT ATTEMPT!

After the eraser, rubbing the edge (flatwise) of a penny back and forth across the contacts is a nice finishing touch ...

DO NOT ATTEMPT!

The contacts on the edge of the RAM PCB are formulated to match the contacts in the DIMM slots.

The copper and nickle in the penny will contaminate the alloy on the edge contacts. This is a bad thing and will lead to early failure at best.

DO NOT ATTEMPT!

Windex. And some RainX for preventative measures. I RainX all my boards and electrical contacts. This way, if anything spills on 'em it just rolls off without getting 'em wet! :DOk ok, don't attempt that *sigh*

No, but thanks ExRoadie, might come in handy in the future.

boo

I used to use a tool called a "Rush Brush" to clean the contact edges of everything electronic. It was basically a brush with very stiff fiberglass bristles. It worked great and left very little if any residue behind. Haven't seen this tool around in years though, wonder if they still make them?

At any rate, the eraser trick has worked for as long as I can remember. I try to use a soft eraser though, to keep from removing too much material from the contacts themselves.

Don't get too aggressive when using this technique!

You're dealing with soft gold plating that's 24 carat - it's only a few millionths of an inch thick at best, and can be worn off in a heartbeat!

You're dealing with soft gold plating that's 24 carat - it's only a few millionths of an inch thick at best, and can be worn off in a heartbeat!

If you have to do it more than once or twice during the lifetime of the RAM, you've got other problems.