Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
clos6996

should I upgrade?

Recommended Posts

I am wondering whether I should upgrade to conroe. This would require me to sell my CPU, motherboard, and memory. Due to the shortage of DDR and the availability of good deals on the internet, the only expense would really come down to the CPU as the other components will even out in price. However, the really intriguing question is whether I should sell both of my 7900gt's and just go with a single card for now. I am pretty sure I can get close to 350 for both cards. This would mean I could purchase an ati x1900xt or 7900gto, assuming they ever get back in stock and it would help put $100 towards the new CPU.

Thus, would I obtain better performance, and future proof the computer for the next 12-18 months if I take these steps now, or should I bite a bigger bullet in the future and wait another 12-18 months to upgrade? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly...if you itching to upgrade, then going Core2 would be for you

 

if you are satisfied with your current setup, then don't waste the money to upgrade yet.

 

ps: check top sticky...plenty of PC4000 2GB kits available (Corsair still stocks them)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still pretty satisfied with it. I just wanted to get more out of 3800 b/c I only got it up to 250x10 with a really expensive watercooling setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The X2 3800's were a nice lot eh? What stepping will I get? What steeeppping? I just recently (yesterday) got the HTPC listed in my sig setup and running. The E6600 is pretty awesome, although I am still an AMD fan. It seems to overclock easily (it is on air right now, Zalman air) and seems to be up there with my AMD on pretty much most things except the most demanding multimedia tasks. However, I have not really tried much heavy core gaming like I do on the other rig, so I might be surprised there (though I'd have to put the x1900xtx in there to get a true test).

 

Personally, I would never have traded in my X2 3800+ for a Conroe, but I was able to get Congress (my wife) to allow a temporary budget increase for a HTPC. :)

 

If I only had a choice to upgrade and still have only one PC and considered RAM availability an issue, I would most likely wait for a suitable AM2 DFI mobo and go that route with an Opteron. But then I AM an AMD junky. Remember, Opterons for OC'ing and X2's if you don't plan on much OC'ing. You might seriously want to consider how much it would cost for a decent AM2 Opteron setup.

 

Good luck

 

boo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...