Sign in to follow this  
ooztuncer

Dude, where are my hdd's?

Hello!

i recently got additonal two sata II drives, 80gb hitachi deskstars namely.

[[ I just realized that I connected them to SataII0 and SataII1 connections. I think i should have connected them to GSataII0 and GSataII1 connections - well i will try that when I go home but I think I can still tell you my problem. ]]

The problem is, with current connections and settings, "my computer" don't see one of my new hdd's and can't access to other one that it recognizes.

Summary:

1) BIOS can see all of my 3 hard disks without a problem.

2) HD tach software can run tests on all of the hard drives!! (weird - keep reading)

3) c drive has 3 partitions; c,d,e.

4) My optical drive named as f drive.

5) Daemon tools have 3 imaginary drives: g,h,i.

6) "my computer" recognizes my first my sata drive as the j drive (but i can't access it - it says i need to format it but when I tried to format in windows it gave me an error).

7) "my computer" don't recognize my other sata drive (which supposedly be the k drive).

What I did try: delete imaginary drives in daemon tool. Enabled sataII in bios. Run everest to see whether they are there - indeed they are.

Sooo, what should I do to make my drives visible and formatted?

Thanks kindly,

Cheers!

You can try right clicking "my computer" then manage then disk management and see if windows see them, they may just need to be formatted, which you can do there, and you are good to go.

Another way to see if the drives are good is by using the Hitachi downloads and utlilities to see if the drives you have are working properly. They work great and can be used in dos environment.

@kingfisher: I tried to format one of them (the one that can be seen in my computer folder) but it gave me errors - something like "format can't be completed". BUT, I will try hitachi tools (if i can).

@snipa: what is check disk stuff? what is it gonna do, it is the blueish screen that counts from 0 to 100%, right? And if it finds errors - does it fix itself?

Guest SuppA-SnipA

@snipa: what is check disk stuff? what is it gonna do, it is the blueish screen that counts from 0 to 100%, right? And if it finds errors - does it fix itself?

correcto

Yes, Checkdisk will find errors and correct them. With bootdisks with the running OS on them you have to reboot and get that blue screen. Other disks shouldbe able to be completed inside Windows.

On my board, I was having this problem with my drives in the SiL SATA connections, and when I moved them to the ULi they work flawlessly now and have never had to do CheckDisk since.

I usually recommend trying the software from the manufacturer as well, and also look to see if your SATA controlling chip has any updates to it (just to be 100% sure).

Good luck and BOO! Happy Halloween!

boo

You can try right clicking "my computer" then manage then disk management and see if windows see them, they may just need to be formatted, which you can do there, and you are good to go.

I had the same problem when I installed my drives; except only one wasn't recognized.

I did exactly what is mentioned above and the problem was solved.

ocztuncer @

In correspondence to already given advices: do you see all hard drives in Disk Managment?

If you see them then it's practically a question of just following a simple wizard to get them initialized and then formatted. MS os's usually needs those procedures to be able to correctly use a new device.

Thanks guys, they are working OK now. Next step is setting up a raid array using two sata drives and also using a non-raid ide drive. i hope I can do it!

Thanks guys, they are working OK now. Next step is setting up a raid array using two sata drives and also using a non-raid ide drive. i hope I can do it!

Our jobs are never done :)

Good luck

boo