Sign in to follow this  
davepjr71

400MHz max on any cpu

I seem to be hitting a wall of 400MHz overclock on any CPU I use on the Lanparty UT board I have. I asked last week if the Thermal Throttling has anything to do with overclocking? I have a 3700+ that hits 2.6G and FX-55 that hits 3GHz. both become unstable after the 400MHz. I find it hard to believe that 2 seperate cpu's have the same characteristics. Any thoughts?

Not considered an expert here but here's somethings I'd make sure of or try doing.

What SATA port are you using? Sometimes having your hard drive hooked to SATA port 3 or 4 makes all the difference in the world.

Have you tried the opposite color memory slots? Have you tested your cpu and memory at stock speeds for stability? Have you tried loosening your memory timings? Is your HTT set to auto? Have you tried other multipliers? What about cpu voltage/vdimm/chipset voltage? Have you tested your board for its max? Have you tested the cpu for its max and the memory for its max?

Are you trying to run 1:1 or another divider? I ask you this because I own the same memory as you and from what I've read/heard and experienced on my own I can't get the things to clock stable over 255mhz. I've also seen that quite a few people with these sticks claim to not be stable running them above 240mhz. It's most likely user error though.

For that memory I've got it at 3-4-4-8 timings using 2.7v [as set in bios +0.3] and it runs stable at 251mhz for me. But if I were you if you haven't already I'd take a good look at the overclocking guide posted as a sticky here and take the steps to find your max speeds for your components---using those steps you will most likely find that maybe your cpu really hitting its max or your memory is unstable or for some reason your board wont let you go any higher. Then its easier to work from there :]

If you've already done so, please post more detailed information and especially what specifically you have tried and with what settings in your BIOS. The more information you provide....the better we can assist you. And btw don't forget to monitor your temps!!! Also DO disable cool n quite and thermal throttling!!!.

Guest Retratserif
I seem to be hitting a wall of 400MHz overclock on any CPU I use on the Lanparty UT board I have. I asked last week if the Thermal Throttling has anything to do with overclocking? I have a 3700+ that hits 2.6G and FX-55 that hits 3GHz. both become unstable after the 400MHz. I find it hard to believe that 2 seperate cpu's have the same characteristics. Any thoughts?

Dude you have to read that guide. You more than likely do not have yoru bios setup right. The HTT needs to be at 4 at least to get 250 on your FSB, and your timings need to be either 3.3.3.6. or looser to even think about getting 250 FSB.

Another thing is most SD chips like voltages, though each one reacts to them differently. You also may want to give your Ram a little more juice.

DO NOT go and just change stuff to what I said and say "hey it didnt work". Read the guide it is stickied all over the place here. It has the be in the top 10 of the best A64 OC'ing guides on the web. Its difinately the best DFI OC'ing guide.

So make 4 prints and leave them in various places, PC desk, work, couch and bathroom. There is a lot of things to learn. Soak it up.

If you are having issues getting the OC, why is your sig suggesting that you already have it running at those speeds? It seems to be very missleading.

Oh yeah. From what I have tested with, the 3700+ and the FX-57 pretty much the exact same chip. I could be wrong. I know one has passed more offial AMD tests than the other, but they are the same more or less.

acphydro & Retratserif,

I've gone through the guide an tested each component individually. CPU will do over 300MHz, board and memory will do the same. I've had it stable at various configurations of 3GHz. (300X10, 230X13) And I am currently using 250X12 to have the RAM at stock speed. divider is set at 4 and I've even used 3 just to make sure. RAM is at 3-4-4-8. I've had my Athlon 3000+ at 2.7GHz on my old EPOX board but with only 1G of RAM.

acphydro,

That's interesting about that RAM. Especially since NewEgg has it listed under it's overclocking RAM. I will try and switch which slots. I do believe that I have my HDD plugged into SATA slot 3. Are you saying that is a good or bad thing? I've tried changing from 1:1 to other variations. I'll post my current set-up tonite when i get home. Besides the 3-4-4-8 everything else is set to auto for the RAM. I'll have to set all the values according to the guide.

Retratserif,

The issue is not with being able to overclock and my sig is not misleading at all. 3GHz is not a problem. The topic of this post was "can't get over 400MHz overclock". The FX-55 is 2.6GHz stock. I have it overclocked to 3GHz. When I try to go ever that it's like I've hit a stone wall no matter what variation I use. The 3700+ isn't the same chip as an FX-55. I've read in amny places that some of the 3700+ are deficient duel cores with one the cores turned off.

PATRIOT PDC2G4000ELK 2GB(2X1G) DDR500(PC-4000)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...9&postcount=300

Some alternate settings to try,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...81&postcount=20

What SATA port are you using? Sometimes having your hard drive hooked to SATA port 3 or 4 makes all the difference in the world.

I've never heard of the Sata ports making any diff on NF4,on NF3 they did make a diff

acphydro & Retratserif,

I've gone through the guide an tested each component individually. CPU will do over 300MHz, board and memory will do the same. I've had it stable at various configurations of 3GHz. (300X10, 230X13) And I am currently using 250X12 to have the RAM at stock speed. divider is set at 4 and I've even used 3 just to make sure. RAM is at 3-4-4-8. I've had my Athlon 3000+ at 2.7GHz on my old EPOX board but with only 1G of RAM.

acphydro,

That's interesting about that RAM. Especially since NewEgg has it listed under it's overclocking RAM. I will try and switch which slots. I do believe that I have my HDD plugged into SATA slot 3. Are you saying that is a good or bad thing? I've tried changing from 1:1 to other variations. I'll post my current set-up tonite when i get home. Besides the 3-4-4-8 everything else is set to auto for the RAM. I'll have to set all the values according to the guide.

Retratserif,

The issue is not with being able to overclock and my sig is not misleading at all. 3GHz is not a problem. The topic of this post was "can't get over 400MHz overclock". The FX-55 is 2.6GHz stock. I have it overclocked to 3GHz. When I try to go ever that it's like I've hit a stone wall no matter what variation I use. The 3700+ isn't the same chip as an FX-55. I've read in amny places that some of the 3700+ are deficient duel cores with one the cores turned off.

Now that you've told us more details that helps a lot. But the most important thing here is......are you STABLE and by stable I mean dfi-street stable...not just stable in windows and stable while say playing a game. Just because windows boots doesnt mean its stable. I do have the exact model/part number RAM as you and it is UCC chips. No one that I know of has gotten it to run at 300mhz. Your memory is rated to run 3-4-4-8 at 250mhz at 2.8v. It's listed as "overclocking ram" because its rated at 250mhz already and its good to use when overclocking over 200mhz---thats a marketing gimmick if you will. If your memory would run at 300mhz they wouldnt sell it as pc4000 because they could make more money by selling those modules rated for pc4800 or etc. Try reading some of the reviews on your memory you'll see that 95% of those people can't get it over 255mhz without problems, granted I don't know what their word is good for. I do however find it hard to believe that your memory is stable at 300mhz+.

But you still haven't told us if you've checked for stability on the memory and cpu at those speeds anyway or what method you used to do it. So what does your definition of stable mean exactly? Just running say superpi or etc doesn't mean stability. Are you running prime95 and using the blend mode for testing? If so how long? I'm not asking you to show screenshots or anything, I just want to know what your definition of stable is. Because if you let prime run overnight and in the morning you know for sure, we'd be able to help you more.

So instead of offering you 10 different things to try I'll stop with this. Check your system for stability using prime95 properly running at least 8 hours, and also use memtest to check for stability at your current settings. Also your PSU is only in class 3 on the recommended list and not ALL of that brand's PSU's will meet the needs of your system. So if you want further help please clarify what your stability testing method is and please post your idle and load temps for cpu, chipset, and your pwmic.

Also a posting of your "stable" settings in bios would be nice....specifically the Genie Bios settings and DRAM Settings. See the overclocking database for the way to properly post those settings.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...9&postcount=300

Some alternate settings to try,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...81&postcount=20

I've never heard of the Sata ports making any diff on NF4,on NF3 they did make a diff

Definitely follow those links and take a stab at the advice within. As far as the SATA port issue Playah I'm not sure if its BIOS related or not but I DID have problems using a SATA port 1 or 2 with one of my hard drives and once I moved to a different set of ports or removed the drive my instability went away---i did no further research on the subject. But I do know for a fact that some SATA drives have major incompatibilities with both nforce3 and 4 chipsets. I realize that my problems there might not have had to do with overclocking but rather one of those incompatibilities. Either way its always a good idea to try to rule out something thats so easy to change. If you've more information on the subject I'd be glad to read it as I'm always ready to learn more about these subjects :]

-BTW sorry to the OP for sounding lick a dick but I'm not trying to be its just that if we knew more about your testing procedures and etc it would definitely help. If the memory settings helped you then thats great for you, either way I'd really like to know your bios settings if you really have gotten your memory stable at over 300mhz somehow not only for my personal purpose but to help you further.

I'm always open to new findings w/users experience,but in everything I've read so far it is confirmed that NF3 had issues when OCing on certain SATA ports,some were locked and some weren't.

On the NF4 chipset, everything I've read says all the SATA ports are locked, so there shouldn't be any probs on any of them

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=ports+locked

I have seen SATA cables being wonky and perhaps by moving them around it changed something,I can't explain your findings.

Definitely follow those links and take a stab at the advice within. As far as the SATA port issue Playah I'm not sure if its BIOS related or not but I DID have problems using a SATA port 1 or 2 with one of my hard drives and once I moved to a different set of ports or removed the drive my instability went away---i did no further research on the subject. But I do know for a fact that some SATA drives have major incompatibilities with both nforce3 and 4 chipsets. I realize that my problems there might not have had to do with overclocking but rather one of those incompatibilities. Either way its always a good idea to try to rule out something thats so easy to change. If you've more information on the subject I'd be glad to read it as I'm always ready to learn more about these subjects :]

-BTW sorry to the OP for sounding lick a dick but I'm not trying to be its just that if we knew more about your testing procedures and etc it would definitely help. If the memory settings helped you then thats great for you, either way I'd really like to know your bios settings if you really have gotten your memory stable at over 300mhz somehow not only for my personal purpose but to help you further.

I'll try the alternate SATA ports tonite and see what happens. As for sounding like a d!ck, I didn't think that at all. There is a big difference between being stable in Windows and stable with tests. My current set-up is stable running the 8M for Superpi. However, it wonks out on prime95 with the current voltage setting. If I increase it it will run fine. For now I decided to leave it with the current voltage settings until I can figure out why it hits a wall at 400MHz. I'd appreciate any good info anyone can provide that is constructive. I've read many guides and while i've only been at this for a little over a year I know i understand the basics for overclocking. I seem to be running into a wall since I switched to this board and the Patriot RAM. i may even try putting in my old memory to see what happens.

It could be that your 2 CPUs can only be clocked by that much.

Why would you assume you can go way over 3 ghz with an fx-55?

I doubt any fx-55 can do any better.

As for your 3700+ maybe you just got a bad one. I had an Opty 170(2.0ghz stock) that would not budge more than 2.5-2.6ghz.

I also doubt that a DFI board would be the cause of a poor overclock.

You say you have read many guides and I can guarantee you DFI boards are the reason folks achieve their high overclocks.

I am not saying you are wrong, I am just being devil's advocate here and think perhaps your RAM is holding you back.

RAM to me is the biggest challenge on these boards, what works for epox or Asus means nothing here.

Until you know for sure without any doubt that your RAM is stable, you will be in an endless loop looking at your other hardware.