MOBILE 4000+ on 250GB

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other consideration (and another primary reason to never use a clip on style heatsink on a lidless processor) is that the bases on the clip on type cpu heatsinks are large enough to rest down on the nest in the socket bracket. Therefore, making them too large to actually get down inside of the bracket and make contact with your naked processor. I found that out after trying to mount my 120 on a lidless 3000 Venice. Actually had to machine down all four corners of the heatsink base in order for it to fit down inside of the socket.

Bolt on is the best choice for processors with the IHS removed

Well ...we'll find out tonight.

With the MSI pad it will technically no longer resemble a lidless processor, and I think there is a large difference between a stock clip on which torques horizontally from one side to the other as opposed to the XP120 or Scythe sinks which get clipped in vertically.

fingers crossed,

DC

Your're right about the XP120 & the Scythe Infinity as well. Luckily i had the Mobile pad.....but I am not impressed with it. It needs a thermal pad to actaully interface with the core. They put a pad around the outer edge on the underneath to elevate the pad away from the core thus it needs a thermal pad to interface. I was getting crazy high temps...got so fed up I slapped on the XP120 after modding the Mobile pad......bad idea but got it on. I completely manhandle this chip and it still works. I pulled it though due to crappy interface with the MSI pad....saving it for later; hoping to switch out a Mobile 4000+ from a Gateway MX725 this summer. then I will use a bolt on cooler that can interface directly with the core. This 250GB isn't dead yet.

thanks all for the tips.

btw - anyone use a Big Typhoon on the 250GB?

DC

No, but I've got one on the NF4 Ultra-D with a naked X2 4800. The only problems might be space around the socket. Hopefully someone here can confirm that it will fit, then it would be an excellent choice. I really like mine. Quiet, effective and efficient cooling, for air that is.

just don't forget not to leave the paper on the backing plate or it will stick on the board and you will never get it off. Or rub some flower or baby powder on it.

Good point. I didn't realize how "permanent" that insulator pad would be. Now mine goes wherever the board does. It is indeed permanently attached.

I'm assuming that you could soften the adhesive up with some lighter fluid if removal ever became absolutely necessary, but the best bet is to just leave the paper on it and install it that way. I'd like to know the secret ingredient they use on that adhesive. I have several 1000lb car parts I'd like to stick together :)

One way to prevent such mounting issues with backplates is to use a foam spacer under the backplate.

Having a piece of foam slightly thicker than the space between the backing plate and the M/B mounting area will hold the backing plate in place securely without having it "stuck" to the M/B. This can be taken apart easily at a later time, if necessary.