MOBILE 4000+ on 250GB

Hey all,

Searched the forum and read some threads on 754 Mobile 4000+ applications.

Can someone inform on any special precautions for using an XP120 HS on a "lidless" Mobile 64?

Just slap on some AS and remount the sink?

v/r

DC

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT USE THAT HEATSINK UNLESS YOU PLAN TO MOD IT!!!!!!

Using a Clip style heatsink on a lidless CPU, could spell certain doom for a very fragile (but fast) Newark 4000+.

Use a bolt on heatsink NOT A CLIP HEATSINK!

The core is quite sturdy from the top, but if you come at it from the sides, is when the core is easily crushed (clip method heatsinks force pressure on the side of the core).

I suggest the Zalman CNPS 9500 Heatsink for these CPU's as the Heatsink is very light and is a bolt on style heatsink.

Enjoy your new 4000+. :)

Thanks mate, it seems that the Zalman may be a nice choice-seems like it is vertical design which (hopefully) would allow me to mount it to exhaust to the rear exhaust fan on my HTPC.

Any info/links on modding the XP120 for lidless processors like the Mobile 4000+?

thanks again!:angel:

DC

Thanks mate, it seems that the Zalman may be a nice choice-seems like it is vertical design which (hopefully) would allow me to mount it to exhaust to the rear exhaust fan on my HTPC.

Any info/links on modding the XP120 for lidless processors like the Mobile 4000+?

thanks again!:angel:

DC

Sorry, I'm not aware of any links. But check over @ Xtremesytems.org, they may have a tutorial on how to mod an XP-90/120 to work with a Lidless CPU.

The Zalman will work right out of the box, and will perform very well.

I have the zalmann 9500

I had to trimm the yellow square bracket on the MB around the cpu right where the screws go in...enuf to compensate for no lid.

Until I did that heat was an issue.

Now I am using an apogee waterblock with a lid from an old 3400+

Just arctic silver and pressure holdin it on.

Load temp 45c @ 1.55 + 104% 231x13.

DO NOT USE THAT HEATSINK UNLESS YOU PLAN TO MOD IT!!!!!!

Using a Clip style heatsink on a lidless CPU, could spell certain doom for a very fragile (but fast) Newark 4000+.

Use a bolt on heatsink NOT A CLIP HEATSINK!

The core is quite sturdy from the top, but if you come at it from the sides, is when the core is easily crushed (clip method heatsinks force pressure on the side of the core).

I suggest the Zalman CNPS 9500 Heatsink for these CPU's as the Heatsink is very light and is a bolt on style heatsink.

Enjoy your new 4000+. :)

is VERY right you should only use a bolt down on them.them 4000+ are too nice to take a chance on cracking it

Thanks all. Still trying to figure out whether to try an rebuild to AM2 or convert to AM2 (with same OS, NF3>NF4- see my thread).....dual core is tempting me. I do a lot of audio work, converting, and verifying lossless etc. AND I can't seem to find a Mobile 4000+ anywhere! I'd probably go with the Zalman, thanks for the ehads up on that link though.

DC

Thanks for the link. What's the consensus on which is the overall better performer, the XP120 or the Zalman noted here. The Zalman is copper and the XP120 while huge is aluminum; I thought aluminum "wicks" away heat faster but a smaller overall amount of joules?

DC

Thanks for the link. What's the consensus on which is the overall better performer, the XP120 or the Zalman noted here. The Zalman is copper and the XP120 while huge is aluminum; I thought aluminum "wicks" away heat faster but a smaller overall amount of joules?

DC

Copper is a proven superior heat conductor. Although, you can put a better fan on the XP120, I'm sure the benefits in actual heat dissapation between the two after it's all said and done is too marginal to really have a 'clear' winner.