Sign in to follow this  
amuSe

Question about SATA disk.

I don't think so, it's the part where the nforce drivers ask you for the SW IDE drivers I think, I always say no to that as I saw it in Angry/Happygames video tutorial for Windows XP tweaking.

I called the shop and they can't imagine what could be wrong with the disk but they said they are happy to replace it.. again..

Although I've read great things about the performance and reliability of Samsung hard drives, maybe it's time to try another brand. No disrespect to Samsung whatsover intended.

I've used WD's exclusively since I bought my first Raptor, both for personal use and for customer builds. Prior to that I was a dyed in the wool Maxtor HDD user, but in the last two years WD has been my one and only HDD choice for all builds. As Sharp says, hdd orientation whether vertical or horizontal shouldn't be creating any problems, usually those situations manifest themselves when the drive isn't perfectly vertical or horizontal. I remember in the old days that hard drive specifications specifically noted how far off true horizontal or vertical they could be and still function reliably. Don't recollect seeing that much anymore though. Probably because manufacturing tolerances have shrunk to next to zero, and anymore just about any hard drive you buy works just fine for JSP in about any circumstance.

But I think you have the proof in the pudding. If your new drive is clack clacking, and making other strange noises that isn't usually a good thing.

Is it possible that the shop sent you back the same faulty one had in the first place?

...As msmolt says, hdd orientation whether vertical or horizontal shouldn't be creating any problems...

Feeling tired Wevssport? :)

Feeling tired Wevssport? :)

Apparently, I had to go back and re-read that sucker twice to figure out what the hell you were talking about and why you called me Wevssport :)

I absolutely love your sense of humor!

Oh, and I've corrected my stupid post. Forgive my ignorance :)

The one shown on Newegg only has a single power connector. Does the one you have, both the old 4 pin power and the new sata power connector?? And I hope if it has both you are not using both.

Hi again, I just checked the box and found the jumper .... and you know what?

The little jumper bag is the one I had ripped open the first time! It had a hole in it. So I guess they sent me the same disk...

What is strange though is, if it's indeed the same disk, how they got it to work, because when I installed it, for the first 10 minutes or so it was all well.

Then the PC started to freeze along, every couple of seconds the cursor on the screen would freeze and then it became worse and worse until the disk wouldn't show up in the BIOS anymore and is sitting now on the table next to me.

Should I pop that jumper in and try the disk again?

the drive should not need the jumper to work, might as well try it.

But definitely take a pic of the drive and make a note of all the numbers before you send it back.

Did you try replacing the SATA cable with a new cable?

I am just guessing, that if you had two HD's that failed, maybe it is the Cable?

Just thinking out loud.

Hi again, I just checked the box and found the jumper .... and you know what?

The little jumper bag is the one I had ripped open the first time! It had a hole in it. So I guess they sent me the same disk...

What is strange though is, if it's indeed the same disk, how they got it to work, because when I installed it, for the first 10 minutes or so it was all well.

Then the PC started to freeze along, every couple of seconds the cursor on the screen would freeze and then it became worse and worse until the disk wouldn't show up in the BIOS anymore and is sitting now on the table next to me.

Should I pop that jumper in and try the disk again?

Well, I'll try not to dig to deep at the shop you've been doing business with, but I'll throw this out. Maybe in their zest to get you a drive back they just plopped it onto a test board and ran a utility or two, the drive appeared to work, so they sent it back. However, after extended use it must apparently have some sort of problem. I'd return the drive and demand a replacement. In fact to be on the safe side demand a sealed (still sealed in static bag) replacement. And if you want to carry that one step further change brands altogether.

Luck.

I'll do that wevsspot and I also tried the cable that goes with the raptor and I still ran into the same problems.

This morning I could actually format the disk from within windows and pass some data onto it but the disk, even in idle, makes a "clack... clack... clackclick... clack... clack... clack" noise and it's the same pattern always.

Plus, it creates quite some vibrations.

I will demand a different brand although they told me the first time that they couldn't do that if it's in warranty by samsung it had to be the same samsung.

But I've spent some money with them already, they should give in if I insist a bit.

I was thinking of seagate or western digital.

Thanks a lot