Sign in to follow this  
thelehk

Blue Screens, Can't install win XP

If you can pass memtest it's usually fine...From my personal experiences....

When you get the page_fault_in_none_page_area error it's usually a bad cable or cable not fully connected just right...or drive with corruption...

1st thing I'd do is swap out the cable(s) and qualify the drives with spinright...

or the very least the drive manufacture diagnostic tools...;)

unhook ALL drives...put a Good cable on the boot drive and test with just that drive attached... unhook the floppy if you have one... this will narrow down the problem... see if you can re-create the error...

ok, thanks for your suggestions, will try later today after work.

I looked at the hard drive utilities on tmod's cd but only found them to be for ide drives, I'll have to get utilities for SATA today.

I tested with 1 stick of ram because I'd like to get it running, at least with 1 stick lol. at the moment it bluescreens with just 1 in there.

Good news. Is that the only thing you did? Change the bios?

I updated the bios and had to use angrygames's timings on his website for the ram I had. Previously with the 704-2bt bios I had tried his settings, and also settings that the OCZ people gave me over at their forums, which didnt work. I still don't think 2 sticks of ram will work, but I will try it tonight (probably a ram settings issue, but I'm such a newbie with them I don't know how to mess with them myself to make the nonworking start to work, i just plug and chug from other peoples settings).

Have you read through the overclocking guide? Even if you don't intend to overclock, it gives great information on the different timings that appear in your BIOS... I'd really recommend you give it a look...?

thelehk,

i'll bet you'll be able to get two sticks running - assuming that both sticks will pass Memtest and Prime95 individually. one trick i've seen others use round here is to swap each stick into the other ram slot. inevitably one of your sticks will be 'stronger' than the other, and inevitably one of your orange RAM slots will be 'stronger' than the other. the secret is to figure out which stick of RAM works best in which slot sometimes. that is totally trial and error. the primary thing i've found when increasing ram capacity, especially from 1gb to 2gb is bumping up the memory voltage just a tad to compensate for the extra load. in some cases you may have to loosen some of your secondary timings also. however, from experience i can tell you that once you get one stick running stable, you're not too far off from getting both sticks running good (again, assuming that they are both good to begin with).