Upgrading to Opteron 165

Scott P

I have an Opteron 165 (stepping CCBBE) on the way. It was an impulse buy while scrolling ebay. I think it was that Mushkin XP-650 that I was awarded that made me want to soup up the rest of my system. :)

Since it's a great OC'r, I plan on exploring that option. I still like my computer quiet though, so I'll have to find a balance. I will be upgrading my CPU cooler, but I don't know what direction to go. I am considering the Tuniq Tower, the Zalman 9500, and the SI-128. Any thoughts on which would be effective at cooling with minimal noise?

First off, great choice...I aquired a 165 through the boards recently, and had some problems with a zalman 7700....then upgraded to the Big Typhoon and am now hitting 3.0GHz dual prime stable with it. I'd highly recommend the Big Typhoon, though don't have experience with the other coolers. The thing is large, but the 120mm fan is very, very quiet...and it's a bit cheaper on newegg than the others too, while offering the same or greater performance=) At 1.53v, I don't see it go above 46C.

Good luck and I know you'll have some fun, whatever you choose.

Any other thoughts or opinions? My Opty should arrive soon, so I'd like to get my new cooler from SVC soon. Right now, I don't know if I should go with the SI-128, Thermaltake Typhoon, or Zalman 9500.