Sign in to follow this  
Booster

Raccoons in the backyard, need tips to getting rid of them

OR

Catch them in humane trap then put the trap in a horse trough full of water no noise :)

Get a suppressor for the gun if you want quiet. It's more humane and more fun too :D

Guest Buckstitch
Get a suppressor for the gun if you want quiet. It's more humane and more fun too :D
True alot more fun :nod:

(Edit)

Try this Booster

Ammonia in small containers like cat food cans along the ground every 6 feet will keep skunks away mite work on raccoons

Quote from Wikipedia

"Raccoons as Food

Raccoons were a source of food for early American pioneers providing a sizable amount of protein. "Coon" hunts and cuisine can still be found in regions of the southern United States. The fat is strongly flavored and smells disagreeable, so it is recommended that it be removed before cooking. The favored method of cooking is roasting with recipes suggesting that sweet potatoes are a good complement to the raccoon's meat, which is dark, as either a stuffing or side dish."

Depending on what part of the country you live in, raccoons have a high percentage of "raccoon rabies"" Wonder were it got that name duh?. This differs from regular rabies because the animal can appear healthy for a long period of time despite being a rabies carrier. I think around 45% of rabies cases in the USA come from raccoons. THis can be transmitted to dogs, cats and other mammals. It is amost always fatal in humans.(one guy survived somewhere in the usa after being put in a medical coma for a month..)

THe best advice I can give you is to NEVER feed the coons in your yard and call animal control to put out live traps to catch and move the animals. Make sure all of your pets have rabies shots. Avoid exposure to the raccoons. In short, let animal control take care of the problem.

I had raccoons and never got rid of them despite trapping and not feeding. them. THey're a big problem.

Being a redneck, I can get rid of them the ole country way (.22mag and a q-beam, works for deer too) but it pisses off the neighbors. Animal control is the best option.

Good luck

:cat:

Depending on what part of the country you live in, raccoons have a high percentage of "raccoon rabies"" Wonder were it got that name duh?. This differs from regular rabies because the animal can appear healthy for a long period of time despite being a rabies carrier. I think around 45% of rabies cases in the USA come from raccoons. THis can be transmitted to dogs, cats and other mammals. It is amost always fatal in humans.(one guy survived somewhere in the usa after being put in a medical coma for a month..)

a) Rabies is universally (except for one case) fatal once symptoms start. If one is exposed to rabies, post exposure prophylaxis is quite successful at preventing the disease if administered within 14 days.

B) The only known human to survive rabies after the onset of symptoms was actually a 15 year old girl, not a guy.

c) She was in a medically induced coma for 7 days and given antivirals while she was under; she was in the hospital for a total of 31 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanna_Giese

a) Rabies is universally (except for one case) fatal once symptoms start. If one is exposed to rabies, post exposure prophylaxis is quite successful at preventing the disease if administered within 14 days.

B) The only known human to survive rabies after the onset of symptoms was actually a 15 year old girl, not a guy.

c) She was in a medically induced coma for 7 days and given antivirals while she was under; she was in the hospital for a total of 31 days.

Sorry about the error of the patient's ., I was typing from memory and experience and not from wikipedia. Whatever.

Guest Neezer

that girl is from my home town!!!!

option 1. Gun (check local firearms ordinance's. it is not illegal to shoot a racoon, but it may be illegal to discharge a firearm)

option 2. (and a personal favorite) golf club

option 3. call animal control.

option 1. Gun (check local firearms ordinance's. it is not illegal to shoot a racoon, but it may be illegal to discharge a firearm)

Or, if you're like me and care more about the Constitution upon which this country is based rather than laws made by tyrants...

Well, I won't go there. :D

Buckets of water, hot pepper water, hot pepper water filled balloons, battery charger rigged up to a stick with two nails attached to the end and cables on two nails, home made electric fence,-with said battery charger, and finally something fun...paintball gun. They don't die but they sure as hell run. Just have to wait for them and let the conditioning begin!

Sorry about the error of the patient's ., I was typing from memory and experience and not from wikipedia. Whatever.

Looking at it again, my reply seems to come off as confrontational. I didn't mean for that to happen. I apologize.