Raid 0 on ultra D Question

so i plan on picking up two of those seagate 250 perpindicular recording drives that are very quick and quite from what i hear, and rather cheap may i say from new egg, and putting them in raid 0. although i have never set up raid 0 from intergrated sata controller on a mobo, i saw the option to enable raid on sata 1 -2 and sata 3-4 and what not in bios, when i enable it will i set up the raid from the bios? or will i need some seperate software to boot from like some raid cards. As well as will i need to install the raid drivers when i go to install windows on the array? thanks for the help in advance.

you will unable the raid in the bios, after you exit t he bios you will press F10 to enter the raid utility,

if you follow H_G tutorial you will get it to work, thats the tutorial i read be4 setuping my raid 0, on my ultra-D

question, now for thos of us guys who dont have a floppy, during winxp installation, can you boot the drivers off a usb? or a CD, or a USB floppy? or does it -HAVE- to be a floppy?

The only options are to use a floppy or slipstream the drivers into the Windows cd.

question, now for thos of us guys who dont have a floppy, during winxp installation, can you boot the drivers off a usb? or a CD, or a USB floppy? or does it -HAVE- to be a floppy?

you can also make a windows install cd with the raid drivers intergrated, it's pretty easy makes the install easy too!

try searching the forums here or google search "fernando slipstream raid windows xp" or some combo of those words

Thanks for replies guys, also as well, say i just go out and buy another 250 and put it in raid 0 with the current 250 i have now, i would buy the exact same 250, that would make it 500 but i dont want my windows partition that big, if i was to say partition the 500 array to say 120 for my windows partitoin and the remainder for storage, would i keep the same performance? basically would my idea work and do you lose performance when partitioning a raid 0 array? thanks again. i found it cheaper just to buy another 250 and raid it with what i have now.

For raid0 its always best too have 2 identical make and model capacity drives.

Yes you could partition windows to 120gb and the remainder for storage......Would you keep the same performance as what?

You have to partition any HDD to use it in windows, its the same with raid0 so no you dont loose performance in partitioning.

How you set your hdd or stripe up in the first place and what you are going to use them for will determine how good/bad your performance is, all in all though baby steps before giant ones so stick to the defaults and you should be fine.

Logan