Opty 165 CCBBE 0615DPMW Help

Spaz-Ed

Just installed this processor, and haven't really overclocked it yet. I installed the dual core driver and optimizer. This is my first dual core, and hope that is the right thing to do. I ran Aquamark, and it seems kinda slow compared to my 3800 Venice. Granted my 3800 was at 2.7 ghz. Is this why it is slower? Right now I have it running stock at 1.8 ghz. I also re-installed the video driver.

Thanks in advance,

Looks like the only way to reach near 3 g's, is by using my OCZ Platinum Rev 2's. The Corsair in my sig. totally blows!!!!!!

Yeah, what's funny (to me anyways, maybe not so much to you) is that I ALMOST bought that very same memory based on recommendations of people that seemed to know what they were talking about. Planned on buying it for about a month (while saving my money) until someone talked me into buying memory with the tightest timings (rather than the fastest), which then caused me to look at the G. Skill "HX" memory I have.

Any opinions on a great set of 2 gig matched pairs?

I "sort of" like this HX, but haven't enough experience for my opinion to really mean much. I CAN say there's nothing wrong with it, I've got no complaints. And also it runs pretty close to DDR500 at 3-4-4-8, and DDR400 at 2-3-2-5. Been reading Happy_Games opinions on the whole memory thing lately. It's worth reading, really. Basically he says that the CPU speed is King. I think in fact that's exactly what he says, several times over.

Memory therefore being less important to overall performance, plus the additional factors of time learning to maximize the "high-end" memory AND the additional cost in order to make marginal (or negligible) performance gains that ultimately don't mean much or make much sense. Particularly when you consider one could simply run a divider and get on with using one's computer.

Worth reading, IMO.

Plus, even if you consider my situation with memory capable of running DDR500, I can't get there anyways with an HTT of anywhere from 306 (stock voltage) to 330 (but unstable) without a divider, so what's the point ? 1:1 is supposed to be so important, but there's no way I'm going to pay for memory that runs fast enough to keep up with the CPU. So I run my CPU as fast as I can get it, use the nearest divider that will work (3/2 for the most part) and tighten the timings as much as possible. (Perhaps another reason why tight timings are more important than speed. Not able to use the speed I have anyways, so again, what's the point ?)

Looks like the only way to reach near 3 g's, is by using my OCZ Platinum Rev 2's. The Corsair in my sig. totally blows!!!!!!!

Will the processor not run on a lower divider?

The corsair I was originally using did not like the lower dividers needed for higher clocking. The OCZ I am using seems okay with the dividers. Right now, my memory is running at 225 mhz (DDR 450), with the CPU at 2.7 ghz (8+hrs prime stable).

Corsair TwinX 2048 3200c2, 2.5-3-3-6, 1T, 2.8v, ratio 5/6

The corsair I was originally using did not like the lower dividers needed for higher clocking.

There is a known issue with the 3/2 divider (documented here) with the original factory BIOS, which seems to have been fixed by the most recent BIOS revision. Were you using the most-recent BIOS at the time ?

There is a known issue with the 3/2 divider (documented here) with the original factory BIOS, which seems to have been fixed by the most recent BIOS revision. Were you using the most-recent BIOS at the time ?

Actually I was using the most current BIOS. I tried all of them, and couldn't use many of the lower dividers. That Corsair memory runs okay up to 210 mhz at 1:1 ratio. When I did get a divider to work, it would only do so if the ram stayed well below 200 mhz. The lower dividers were not completely stable.

I seem to recall reading that the "Odd Divisor Correct" setting caused problems with the 3/2 divider if it was set wrong. (I forget which way it was supposed to be.) Something about how it "rounds" some clock or other with this divider.

Have you read something like this, and/or did you experiment with this setting when running the 3/2 ?