Sign in to follow this  
bchivers

Would like help to plan new rig

What & why? :confused:

When I first got my Ultra-D people in the forum told me that my PSU was no good. Since I had bought it just before I got the mobo I couldn't afford to buy another, I had a PSU doing nothing

so I hooked it up to my computer. It runs the ATX 4 pin plug, my HD's DVD drives and my lights. The X-Connect2 runs everything else.

When I first got my Ultra-D people in the forum told me that my PSU was no good. Since I had bought it just before I got the mobo I couldn't afford to buy another, I had a PSU doing nothing

so I hooked it up to my computer. It runs the ATX 4 pin plug, my HD's DVD drives and my lights. The X-Connect2 runs everything else.

David's having a heart-attack.

Why?:confused:

Ultra X-Connect2 550W PSU + 430watt generic = Disaster waiting to happen. Maybe it will blow up and you get to see more pretty lights than just the x-mas lights ppl will soon be starting up. Please check out the Recommended PSU list

Ultra X-Connect2 550W PSU + 430watt generic = Disaster waiting to happen. Maybe it will blow up and you get to see more pretty lights than just the x-mas lights ppl will soon be starting up. Please check out the Recommended PSU list

What if I used the X-Connect for the mobo,atx,graphics card and the generic for for HD's DVD's then there is no connection between the two power supplies would that be a better way to hook up? I've read the power supply guide and someday will get one from it but I won't be able to anytime soon.

What if I used the X-Connect for the mobo,atx,graphics card and the generic for for HD's DVD's then there is no connection between the two power supplies would that be a better way to hook up? I've read the power supply guide and someday will get one from it but I won't be able to anytime soon.

You can use any power supply you want.

We offer advice to you based on our experiences.

Our experiences show that you are asking for trouble using any PSU that is not recommended.

Ultra PSU's are just something that ppl try to avoid in these forums because of their horrible reputation for popping and taking out other components. I won't even touch on generic stuff.

I hate to advise changing anything, as so far you have been lucky & everything works.

Please get a DFI-Street recommended PSU ASAP & good luck until then. ;)

I hate to advise changing anything, as so far you have been lucky & everything works.

Please get a DFI-Street recommended PSU ASAP & good luck until then. ;)

I'm planning on it, thanks.:)

Just bought an Antec Neo HE 550w from Fry's for $70(from PSU guide)I hope this was a better choice if not I may still have time to stop the order. Thanks for the advice.:)

These are my thoughts so far.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 $257.99

DFI LP UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard -

$197

eVGA 512-P2-N637-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Superclocked Video Card

$293

Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

$152

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel $150

OR

mushkin eXtreme Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) $147

Antec Neo HE 550w Power Supply $69.99

Sign in to follow this