Would like help to plan new rig

bchivers

A friend asked me to build him a rig for $1200 to $1500. He is not into gaming but needs heavy duty graphics. I'am not sure whether to go with am AMD x2 or opteron. How much should go towards the cpu? I already have a case.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend asked me to build him a rig for $1200 to $1500. He is not into gaming but needs heavy duty graphics. I'am not sure whether to go with am AMD x2 or opteron. How much should go towards the cpu? I already have a case.

if you dont mind me asking why high end graphics if not gaming?

I would go with a Core2Duo E6600...DFI 975X/G......2 gigs of at least PC800 DDR2.....OCZ 600 PSU.....300 Gig HD......Plextor DVD-RW Slot.....Something in the Nvidia Quadro line up that requires extra PCI-E power from the PSU.

He's a die-hard AMDer from way back, no way he'd change that. Won't be able to get in touch with him until after Tue.

I think a lot of us on here are die hard amd fans. You just can't deney what an awesome processor the C2D is. I still love my X2 even though my E6600 runs circles around it. I'm just hoping till the day AMD is king of the hill again. Even though they are hopeful of the new K8L and the 4x4......I doubt it will beat intel's unless they design something new from the ground up.

Is he willing to OC the rig, or are you willing to OC it for him? This would help us point you in the right direction for a CPU. Also, as wangerin said, find out what the program is so we know the requirements and can further assist you

Is he willing to OC the rig, or are you willing to OC it for him? This would help us point you in the right direction for a CPU. Also, as wangerin said, find out what the program is so we know the requirements and can further assist you

He's not too interested in OC'ing but I might a little. Won't be able to talk to him till after Tues.

Has anybody had any experience with this cpu.

AMD Opteron 154 Venus 2.8GHz 1MB

154 is a single-core cpu

stick to X2 4800+ or better for his needs

2GB RAM

personally I would go with an E6600 Core2Duo and 2GB DDR2

he may be a die-hard AMD guy (like we all are), but you simply cannot deny that the Core2 is the best cpu out there right now. Period.

if he refuses to listen, then put him towards:

DFI Infinity Ultra-II M2 (AM2)

X2 4800+ AM2 (dual core, 2400Mhz / 1MB L2 per core)

2x1GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800Mhz) OCZ/Corsair/Buffalo (tested and working by us)

OCZ 600w GamerXstream or Corsair HX-620w psu

as for video....really need to know what program before we can recommend a vid card

most high-end 'gaming' cards are just as good for rendering etc...but some software is built more for the engineering cards like Quadro or FireGL (because of how it scales with multiple gpu's....these cards were doing "SLI" before it was a fad for gamers who didn't grow up in teh Voodoo 3dFX days)